Councilor John Florez will introduce a resolution at Newport City Council’s meeting on February 24th that would put surveillance cameras across major streets in Newport.
The resolution asks for City Administration to explore funding options for implementing a city wide comprehensive camera surveillance program.
Newport City Council will also discuss a resolution that would arm Newport Police Department with cameras on Wednesday night, Newport Police Department May Soon Roll Out Body Worn Camera Pilot Program.
SCROLL DOWN TO TAKE OUR POLL
Matt Reed of NBC 10 and TurnTo10.com sat down with City Councilor John Florez to discuss the resolution and safety in the city.
Read the Full NBC 10 Story: Councilman proposes installing surveillance cameras in Newport
More From What’s Up Newp
- United Way and Women United partner with the community for annual children’s book drive throughout May
- Passim School of Music to honor Bob Dylan ahead of his 80th birthday
- BJ’s Wholesale Club will host a hiring day on May 15, looking to fill 80 open positions across Rhode Island
- Charlestown Seafood Festival returns August 6 – 8
- Barrington home built by golfer Brad Faxon sells for more than $4.5 million