The following information was released by the Middletown Police Department
At approximately 12:30pm, the Middletown Police Department received a robo voice call stating that a bomb was planted in three Aquidneck Island Schools. The three named schools were Rogers High School, Thompson Middle School and Middletown High School.
Upon receiving the message, the Newport Police Department was immediately notified by Middletown Police Department’s dispatcher.
Also a that time, a decision was made to evacuate Middletown High School while authorities searched the building. Once evacuated, all students at MHS were placed on busses and sent home for the day.
The Middletown Police Department is investigating this incident in conjunction with the Rhode Island State Police, Rhode Island Fire Marshalls Office, the Newport Police Department and Federal Officials.
The following press release was received from Newport Police Department at 3:50pm.
“On February 4, 2016 at 12:37 p.m. the Newport Police Department received a call
from Middletown Police stating that they had received a messaging threatening both Rogers High School and Thompson Middle School. A decision was made by the Newport School Department to begin evacuation procedures. The Community
Police Officers had been on scene since the beginning of the school day and helped facilitate this effort and secured each building. A search of both building was conducted and the school department was then allowed access to both buildings.
The Newport Police Department worked closely with both Newport Fire and
Newport School Department along with an Officer from Jamestown Police who
assisted in mutual aid.
Again the Newport Police Department will continue to maintain an extra presence at the schools in an effort to ensure the safety of our Newport School children.”
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Motels Rock the Odeum (September 16, 2021)
- 4th Annual Cardines Classic featuring Army versus Navy rescheduled to October 1
- Davis Cup will take place at the International Tennis Hall of Fame this weekend
- What’s Up This Weekend in Newport County: Things to do, live music, and more (Sept. 17 – 19)
- Rhode Island Pop-Punk band Another One Down! releases single + video “Headspace”
- 23 open houses happening this weekend (Sept. 17 – 19)
- X Shore: Swedish electric boating brand opens office at Safe Harbor Newport Shipyard
- Westerly Town Manager quits; Police Chief expected to be appointed interim manager