The Rogers High School Robotics Teams, a high school division team and an advanced division team, both won their New England Regional Underwater Robotics competition in December.
It was the second year in a row that both teams won overall champions in their divisions.
Both teams have been invited to participate in the National SeaPerch Championships which are being held in at Louisiana State University.
“Not only is participating in the championships a great experience, the students will stay in the university dorms and eat in the cafeteria giving them a taste of college life. The program is designed to provide a STEM education experience and prepare the students for advanced education”, said Coach Scott Dickison on a GoFundMe Page setup for the trip.
A GoFundMe Page has raised $610 since February 6th and has a goal of $17,500. The funds raised will be used for entry fees, room and board at LSU and air travel to and from the event.
“The championships are in May and travel plans need to be made in advance. Our fundraising deadline is April 10, 2016. Donations to send these students will provide memories of a lifetime and a step toward a career in science and technology”, Dickison also shared on the page.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill