At 6:30pm on Sunday evening an anonymous call was made to the Principal of Rogers High School, in which a threat was made against the school.
The Newport Police Department along with the Community Police Officer assigned to Rogers High School immediately began investigating this matter. The school and the grounds were searched and there was no evidence of any foul play.
The Newport Police Department worked closely with School Department to ensure the safety of all students and faculty for the upcoming school day. After careful consideration it was determined that the school day would not be cancelled. The threat is still being investigated but it is believed to be a hoax at this time and one that has mimicked other such hoaxes that are similar in nature throughout the country. An increased police presence will be maintained as the safety of our schools is of the utmost priority.
The Newport School department and the Newport Police Department are committed to keeping our schools safe and would like to reassure the public that at no time was any staff or students in any danger.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Motels Rock the Odeum (September 16, 2021)
- 4th Annual Cardines Classic featuring Army versus Navy rescheduled to October 1
- Davis Cup will take place at the International Tennis Hall of Fame this weekend
- What’s Up This Weekend in Newport County: Things to do, live music, and more (Sept. 17 – 19)
- Rhode Island Pop-Punk band Another One Down! releases single + video “Headspace”
- 23 open houses happening this weekend (Sept. 17 – 19)
- X Shore: Swedish electric boating brand opens office at Safe Harbor Newport Shipyard