Discover the best events, activities, live music, entertainment and things to do in and around Newport, RI during this weekend.
The 28th Annual Newport Winter Festival is here from February 12 – 21, 2016: Featuring over 150 events, the Festival offers a unique winter experience combining food, festivities, music, and fun for all ages. www.newportwinterfestival.com
Editor’s Note – In the interest of full disclosure, we’d like you to know that the following businesses mentioned in this story are also current advertisers on our website; Hotel Viking, The Bit Players and Cru Cafe.
1 – Polar Pineapples
Friday and Saturday from 3pm – 9pm at Hyatt Regency
Polar Pineapples at Hyatt Regency Newport Hotel and Spa, One Goat Island. Pineapples on the Bay will be transformed again this year for the 3rd annual Polar Pineapples. Try a signature infused cocktail or specialty hot drink (alcoholic and non-alcoholic options available) while enjoying views of the bay. This year will feature a variety of ice sculptures and an ice luge! Hours 3-9pm Free Hot Chocolate at the Five33 Lounge w/bracelet, 401.851.1234.
2 – 11th Annual Illuminated Garden
Friday and Saturday from 6pm to 9pm at Ballard Park
Ballard Exploration Company presents the 11th Annual Illuminated Garden. The free event features thousands of lights displayed on the trees and unique features of Ballard Parks three acre quarry meadow from 6pm-9pm. Exhibits will be created by students and professional tree climbers. Event goers are advised to wear appropriate shoes or boots as the trail may be dark, muddy and uneven in places.
3 – Fire & Ice
Daily 4-8pm at Hotel Viking
Every day of Winterfest (Feb 12-21), Hotel Viking’s courtyard will feature an Ice Bar and fire pits. Cool cocktails and warm toes are a perfect Winterfest activity. More Info
4 – Live Improv Comedy with The Bit Players
Friday at 8pm and Saturday at 8pm & 10pm at The Firehouse Theater
RI’s most award-winning comedy troupe hits the stage with their hilarious improv show full of larger than life characters, hysterical musical numbers, & the quickest wit you’ll ever see EVERY Fri & Sat night at 8pm. If you are going for a special occasion & would like a person(s) of honor to be part of the show let us know in advance. We will create a customized game just for your group! We encourage ALL guests to buy tickets online, shows often sell out. All shows are BYOB! Laugh More.
5 – 14th Annual Newport Bridal Show
Saturday at Rosecliff and OceanCliff
The area’s largest and most elegant bridal show, presented by Newport Wedding Magazine! Two romantic venues: Rosecliff and OceanCliff. Free parking and trolley transportation between venues. Meet with more than 90 of the top wedding professionals. Enjoy fashion shows, live entertainment, and tasty treats by top wedding caterers. Grand Prizes from Lenox! Pre-register and pre-pay your ticket for the chance to win fabulous Door Prizes and enjoy savings on your ticket price. $15 in advance or with bracelet on show day, and $20 at the door. Visit www.newportbridalshow.net for latest information and details.
6 – 6th Annual Chicken Wing Cook-Off
Saturday from 12pm – 2:30pm at Hyatt Regency
Area restaurants compete to see who makes the best chicken wings. No matter how you like your wings these restaurants will be serving them up from Spicy to Sweet! Sample and vote for your favorite. The competition is sure to get sticky with amazing restaurants. Bring the kids! To enter your restaurants wings call 401.847.7666. Adults $12/$8 w/ bracelet and Children (ages 4- 10) $8/$5 w/ bracelet, Children under 4 are Free.
7 – Family Fun Day at the Newport Skating Center
Saturday from 1pm – 4pm
All ages welcome- enjoy FREE activities including face painting, Legos from Newport Public Library’s Lego Club, arts and crafts, a live DJ, sponsor giveaways – Rob Levine and Associates will have free ear muffs and lip balm, RIPTA will have hats, Cox will be there too! Register to win prizes like tickets to the 35th annual Great Chowder Cook-Off in June.
8 – Polo at Easton’s Beach
Saturday and Sunday at 1pm
People of all ages enjoy the spectacle of horsemanship and breath-taking views of Newport’s renown Beaches when the ponies and players put on a Winter Festival Beach Polo match on the sand. The event is a low-impact, eco friendly exhibition that is part of the fun during Newport Winter Festival. FREE!
9 – Dinner & a Movie at Hotel Viking
Saturday – Dinner at 5PM, Minion Visit at 6PM, Movie at 6:30PM
The whole family can come and enjoy a buffet dinner for $19 per person (save $5 with your WinterFest bracelet). Kids under 12 eat free. The Dinner & A Movie experience starts at 5pm with a buffet dinner then a Meet & Greet at 6pm with a Minion friend. The buffet will include sliders, chicken fingers, fries, Swedish meatballs, cookies and soft drinks. Then our Minion friend will show us the way to Kay Chapel for the movie at 6:30pm. Reservations Required: 401-848-4813
10 – Rhody Beer & Cheese Pairing
Saturday and Sunday from 6:30pm – 7:30pm at Newport Storm Brewery
Newport Storm Brewery and Narragansett Creamery are teaming up to bring you the best of local flavor. Experience a local beer and cheese pairing with five locally brewed beers and five locally made cheeses to show off the best Rhode Island artisan agriculture has to offer. These events start promptly at 6:30pm, plan to arrive 15 minutes before the event. Tickets are $15/$12 w/bracelet and are available in the Tickets/Seasonal section of www.NewportStorm.com.
11 – Wine Dinner with Justin Winery
Saturday at 7pm at Hotel Viking
One Bellevue, the award winning restaurant at Hotel Viking in Newport has announced the Viking Wine Festival, a sequence of exceptional winemaker-hosted dinners featuring some of the top personalities from the world of wine. All dinners start at 7pm. Pricing of the wine dinners will range from $95 to $175 per person. To make a reservation call 401-848-4813 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
12 – Walkin’ The Line
Saturday at 8pm at Hyatt Regency
Recently nominated for best country music band in Boston! Walkin’ The Line is a high energy, top 40 country band taking New England by storm! Bringing years of experience with some of the best bands around and opening for country legends like Charlie Daniels, Lorrie Morgan, and Travis Tritt to name a few, they are ready to bring their live show to the Newport Winter Festival! With influences ranging from Miranda Lambert to Carrie Underwood, Jason Aldean to Kip Moore, this band is sure to keep you dancing all night. Tickets are for sale online and at the door, $12/ $10 with bracelet.
13 – 4th Annual Saint Practice Day Parade Fundraiser
Sunday from 1pm – 4pm at O’brien’s Pub
This major parade fund-raiser is in honor of the Grand Marshal – Bill & Karen Cardinal, and will feature light food, music, & raffles!! This event is always a blast! Price is $25
Live Music & Entertainment Listings
- Buskers: Live music with John Brazile from 9pm to 1am. No Cover.
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10pm. No cover.
- Clarke Cooke House: DJ & Dancing in the Boom Boom Room from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Firehouse Theater: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 8pm.
- Hotel Viking (One Bellevue Lounge): Live music with Mark Gorman from 7pm – 11pm.
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Live music with Consuelo’s Revenge / icky woods / Sky Sabin – presented by tweed leisure at 9pm
- Jo’s Bistro: Live music with John & Joanne from 7pm to 10pm. No cover.
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music at 10pm. No cover.
- Newport Blues Cafe: Live music with Felix Brown Band at 9pm.
- Newport Elks Lodge: Live music with Leslie & Matt at Newport Elks Lodge at 6:30pm.
- O’brien’s Pub: Live music at 5pm.
- One Pelham East: Live music with Nate Bash Band @Pelham at 9pm.
- Parlor Bar & Kitchen: Live music with Cardiff Brothers – Newport, RI 21+ at 9pm.
- Pour Judgement: Live music with THE Z-BOYS @ POUR JUDGEMENT at 10pm.
- Saltwater at Newport Harbor Hotel: Live music with Steve Mortrude from 7pm – 10pm.
- Speakeasy: Live music with Chopville from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Tavern On Broadway: Live Reggae music with REGGAE FRIDAYS at TAVERN with NATURAL… from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Wharf Pub: Live music at 8:30pm. No cover.
- Buskers: Live music with Brian Twohey from 8pm to 1am. No Cover.
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10pm. No cover.
- Clarke Cooke House: Live music with HonkyTonk Knights from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Fifth Element: Live music with The Midnites at 10pm. No cover.
- Firehouse Theater: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 8pm and 10pm.
- Genie’s Hookah Lounge: DJ & Dancing at 9pm.
- Hotel Viking (One Bellevue Lounge) Live Music with Matt Kearns from 7pm – 11pm.
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Comedic Leanings – Snow Date! at 8:30pm, JFCK / Maslow / IONEYE at 9pm.
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
- Narragansett Cafe: Live music at 9pm. No cover.
- Newport Blues Cafe: Live music with Take It To the Bridge at 9pm.
- Newport Grand: Live music at 9pm.
- O’brien’s Pub – DJ C-Gray from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- One Pelham East: Live music with Special Event: The Wild Ones @Pelham at 9pm.
- Parlor Bar & Kitchen: Live music with Dead of Winter Bash with Eddy’s Shoe band, all dead, all night at 9pm.
- Saltwater at Newport Harbor Hotel: Live music from 7pm-10pm. No cover.
- Speakeasy: Live music with Chopville from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Tavern On Broadway: Live music at 10pm. No cover.
- Wharf Pub: Live music at 8:30pm. No cover
- Clarke Cooke House: Live music with Bobby Ferreira from 12:30pm to 3:30pm. No cover.
- Fastnet Pub: Live traditional Irish Music from 6pm to 9pm. No cover.
- Fifth Element: Live music with Lois Vaughan Trio from 12pm to 3pm . No cover.
- Jimmy’s: Live Music at 9pm.
- Pour Judgement: Live music with Los Duderinos from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Speakeasy: Live music with Stu Sinclair at 8:30pm. No cover.
- Wharf Pub: Live music from 2pm to 5pm. No cover
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals