(Photo via Morgan Macia/Macia Photography)
Discover the best events, activities and things to do in and around Newport, RI this week!
FYI – MANY Newport restaurants will be taking some time off this week, visit When Newport Restaurants Are Open and Closed This Winter for full details.
Have something you would like to add to this story? E-mail Ryan@whatsupnewp.com.
1 – Cocktails Wars: Monday at 9pm
The 3rd edition of Cocktail Wars, the competition that challenges the area’s best bartenders, has retured to the Gas Lamp Grille. At Cocktail Wars, participating bartenders will have no idea what liquor they are going to be required to use until the show starts. Once the liquor of the night is revealed, the bartenders then have 20 minutes to come up with their best concoction for the audience and judges.
The best part, you as an audience member get to sample all the drinks the bartenders create, for free! Every week a 3rd guest judge will be selected from the audience and the audience counts for 25% of the vote.
Cocktail Wars will take place every Monday from January 18th until the finals on February 29th. The event is free, intended for those 21+, feature’s a cash bar and Gas Lamp Grille’s kitchen is usually open until about 9pm.
2 – Food For Thought Restaurant Week: Monday through Saturday
Diego’s Newport and The Wharf Pub Newport will participate in Food for Thought Restaurant Week 2016 from January 24-30. Visit www.foodforthoughtrestaurantweek.org, print off the 10% coupon, when you bring it to either establishment 10% of your bill will go to The Salvation Army of Newport County.
3 – Drink and Dabble at the Skiff Bar: Wednesday from 6:30-9:30pm (NOTE: THIS EVENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED, NEW DATE TBD)
Join Drink and Dabble at the Skiff Bar at the Newport Marriott for a chance try your hand at a chosen painting under the guidance of a talented instructor. No experience is necessary and all materials will be provided. Tickets are $40 each. Attendees can enjoy two dinner specials: an entre and half bottle of wine for $20 or two entrees and a full bottle of wine for $40. Facebook Event
4 – Whalers Cask Night at Wharf Pub: Wednesday from 7pm to 9pmMeet the guys from Whalers Brewing and taste some of their finest offerings including a one time cask beer. $5 drafts, passed appetizers, raffles and more.
5 – Stone Brewing Beer Dinner: Thursday from 6pm – 8pm
Tavern on Broadway has teamed up with Stone Brewing to host a five course beer dinner. Cost is $50 per person (all inclusive). More info and menu available at Facebook Event.
6 – Pajama Night at Newport Skating Center: Friday from 5pm – 9pm
Wear your PJ’s to the Newport Skating Center and be entered to win a “Newport Sleep Over” at the Hyatt Hotel on Goat Island Newport, including a one-night stay and $50 towards room service! More info at www.newportskatingcenter.com.
7 – Scotch Dinner at Vanderbilt Grace: Friday
Join Chef Jacob Ennis at Vanderbilt Grace for a wonderfully crafted menu, paired with Single Malt and Blended Scotches. Learn from the experts as our team guides you through the in’s and out’s of pairing food with scotch. By reservation only, call 401-846-6200.
8 – Live Improv Comedy with The Bit Players: Friday at 8pm
RI’s most award-winning comedy troupe hits the stage with their hilarious improv show full of larger than life characters, hysterical musical numbers, & the quickest wit you’ll ever see EVERY Fri & Sat night at 8pm. If you are going for a special occasion & would like a person(s) of honor to be part of the show let us know in advance. We will create a customized game just for your group! We encourage ALL guests to buy tickets online, shows often sell out. All shows are BYOB! Laugh More.
9 – The Wasted Talent Show: Friday from 7:30pm – 9:30pm
3 years running, this is Newport’s hottest monthly stand up comedy show at Hope Underground featuring comedians from Comedy Central, Conan, MTV, VH1, and the best local new talent in New England! The last Friday of every month! For table reservations email us with name and number in party. This show sells out fast! Award winning food and cocktails! Only $15 at the door. 7:30pm-9:30pm. For info and tix, e-mail: email@example.com
10 – Special Open House at Carey School Residences: Friday from 6pm – 9pm
LIBBY KIRWIN REAL ESTATE will be hosting a special open house for agents, brokers, investors, buyers and any other curious parties, an evening of interior design, fine art and architecture.
EVENT ADDRESS: 32 Carey Street (Third Floor) Newport, RI
• Photography exhibit by Alexander Nesbitt Photography
• Sarah Fernandez of Chateau & Bungalow will showcase her stylish eye inside the master bedroom suite, bringing a mixture of industrial and seaside influences alive.
• Lauren Coiner and Keith Manville of Ruff Wood Design Co. will exhibit a 10-foot Traditional Farm Dining Room
• Revival Brewing Company will be sampling artisan beers.
• Private Chef Leslie Streuli will stimulate your taste-buds with samples from her home kitchen menu.
• Event Photography provided by Melissa Quintal Photography
** PLEASE RSVP BY E-MAILING, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Live Music & Entertainment Listings – Newport, RI
- Diegos: Trivia at 9pm
- Fastnet: Live music with The Ubiquitones from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Fifth Element: Live music with The Groove Merchants from 7pm to 10pm
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
- Perro Salado: Live music with Julio Amaro from 6pm to 9pm. No cover.
- Empire Tea & Coffee (Broadway Location): Acoustic folk jam at 7:30pm.
- O’brien’s: Trivia at 9:30pm
- Wharf Pub: Open Mic at 8pm.
- Buskers: Open mic night with Mike Warner from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
- Fastnet: Pub Trivia at 9pm.
- Norey’s Star Restaurant: Live music with The HonkyTonk Knights at 9pm. No cover.
- Perro Salado: Live music with The Throttles from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Sardella’s: Live jazz music at 7:30pm. No cover.
- Tavern On Broadway: Live jazz music at 7pm.
- Celtica: Trivia at 9pm
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Open mic at 9pm.
- Norey’s Star Restaurant: Live jazz music with John Monllos at 7:30pm. No cover.
- Perro Salado: Live music with The HonkyTonk Knights from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
- Speakeasy: Live music with Justin Pomfret at 9pm.
- Wharf Pub: Bingo at 8pm
- Buskers: Live music from 9pm to 1am. No Cover.
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10pm. No cover.
- Chanler at Cliff Walk: Live music with Dick Lupino & friends from 6pm to 10pm. No cover.
- Clarke Cooke House: DJ & Dancing in the Boom Boom Room from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Firehouse Theater: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 8pm.
- Hotel Viking (One Bellevue Lounge): Live music from 7pm – 11pm.
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Live music at 9pm.
- Jo’s Bistro: Live music with John & Joanne from 7pm to 10pm. No cover.
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music at 10pm. No cover.
- Newport Blues Cafe: Live music at 9pm.
- One Pelham East: Live music at 9pm.
- Parlor Bar & Kitchen: Live music at 9pm.
- Speakeasy: Live music with Chopville from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Tavern On Broadway: Live Reggae music from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Wharf Pub: Live music at 8:30pm. No cover.