Newport Fire Department and services responded to 88 Kay Street around 6:45pm on Wednesday for a reported fire in the basement of a 2 story wood frame residential structure.
The 2-Alarm Fire was knocked down quickly but crews found active fire extensions into walls and second floor. Canteen 1 from Providence responded to the scene to assist crews on scene.
According to real estate records, 86-92 are connected townhouse style condos and were built in 1900. A request for comment from Newport Police Department has not been responded to as of 9:30pm.
At this time, no official report or update has been provided by officials regarding cause of the fire and there have been no confirmed reports of any injuries.
Update: January 21st, 2016 10:00 a.m.
According to Sergeant Corey A. Huck of the Newport Police Department, the fire is still under investigation but there was an active Fire upon arrival that was extinguished by NFD. Two officers were treated for minor smoke inhalation on scene and released. There is no other information available.
This story will be updated as more information is received.
The Latest From WUN
- Weather Alert: High Wind Warning issued for the region – Storm arrives Tuesday
- Obituary: Elizabeth Marion (Matter) Chambers
- Best-selling author Ann Hood hosts ‘The Writing Life’ public talk at Salve Regina on Oct. 30
- Brown University to significantly expand financial aid and college access
- What’s Up This Week: Hocus Pocus, Tour de Fright, Halloween festivities, and much more