Interstate Navigation, the parent company of the Block Island Ferry, is looking to reduce passenger and vehicle rates by 8% due to the reduced cost of fuel.
Interstate Navigation has filed a compliance filing to reduce base price of fuel and reduce passenger and vehicle base rates, it was put in front of Block Island Town Council on January 4th and the R.I. Public Utilities Commission must also approve the rate reduction.
The proposed rate reduction would mean the follow changes in fares;
- Traditional round-trip commuter passenger ticket: $16.00 to $14.60.
- Adult round trip passenger ticket: $24.85 to $22.90.
- Car rate: $42.85 to $39.60.
- Commuter cars: $32.70 to $30.00.
The Block Island Ferry operates from Narragansett, Newport and Fall River. It is not clear at this time what impact the rate reduction would have on the hi-speed ferry that operates between Fall River/Newport and Block Island.
Filings relating to Interstate’s December 10, 2015 Compliance Filing to reduce Base Price of Fuel and reduce passenger and vehicle base rates:
- Notice of Filing and To Solicit Comments – Public comments is due December 30, 2015.
- Interstate Navigation – Compliance Filing (12/10/15)
- Division of Public Utilities and Carriers – Position regarding Interstate’s Compliance Filing (1/8/16)