Bowen’s Wharf has added two new events for 2016 that build on past successes and local enthusiasm for more activity on the waterfront.
The two new events that Bowen’s Wharf will host in 2016 are the Wooden Boat Show and the Oyster Festival, What’sUpNewp was the first to bring you the news that this was coming to Newport.
2016 Oyster Festival
What’sUpNewp is proud to announce that we have partnered with Bowen’s Wharf to be a media partner of this event.
Bowen’s Wharf will host the Newport Oyster Festival on May 20-22, 2016 to promote Rhode Island-grown oysters.
This will be your big chance to slurp oysters from all over Rhode Island, meet the growers, the shuckers and generally be a part of a feel-good festival where you’ll actually be helping our aquaculture and local environment!
Did you know that Rhode Island is home to upwards of 45 oyster farms? Well, each one is different so this is your big chance to try a bunch of them!
Based on 25 years running the Bowen’s Wharf Seafood Festival they’ve met with many shellfishermen and countless talented restaurant owners.
This new event seeks to bring the best Rhode Island oyster growers together with a select group of local restaurants under festival tents at historic Bowen’s Wharf. Tickets will be sold online, and in person, so attendees will enjoy oysters and more oysters: Raw, Steamed, Roasted, Rockefeller, Fried, Stewed…along with the accompanying sauces, beverages, and serving techniques. Fun and good for the environment…more on that at the event.
Neighboring restaurants are invited to participate on site but also to connect with Bowen’s Wharf as part of an Oyster Hop. By registering with their festival program neighboring restaurants will be included in their promotions so attendees can stroll through town and enjoy oyster specialties on their own schedule.
The number of restaurants on site will be limited but not the number of restaurants participating in the actual festival.
Attendees: Whether you come by sea or by land downtown Newport has got all things oyster and more! The online ticket sales opportunities will be online in the new year, check back with www.bowenswharf.com
- Festival Gala & Fundraiser on Friday night. Tents open to the public on Saturday & Sunday.
- Food vendors: Bring on your creative chefs hats. Let Bowen’s Wharf know you are keen, space is limited.
- Growers: Dave Roebuck with Salt Pond Oysters has reached out to RI Growers and they will be in touch in the next week. If you haven’t heard of him, they haven’t heard of you. So get in touch!
- At Bowen’s Wharf: Unique shops, galleries will host special oyster art exhibits, talks, tastings and sell accessories for the novice and the expert.
- At the festival: Local educators will share insider information on conservation and the oyster industry. Meet the growers themselves while they and their teams of expert shuckers will produce thousands of delectable oysters, each with it’s own special flavor. Live music and contests. We are hopeful that we can coordinate with Oliver Hazard Perry‘s, the state’s official sailing education vessel, spring schedule to allow for children’s activities onboard.
- Environmental info: As part of a program called Oysters Gone Wild the Nature Conservancy has teamed up with oyster bars and educators. “Oysters are ‘keystone’ species of temperate estuaries like those in Rhode Island. Oyster beds provide nursery habitat for other shellfish, and fish. Oysters also provide protection against shoreline erosion, and act as natural water filters for plants, animals, and people.” For a full list of participating restaurants go to http://www.nature.org/
ourinitiatives/regions/ northamerica/unitedstates/ rhodeisland/oysters-gone-wild. xml
- Bowen’s Wharf invites neighboring businesses and museums to create oyster themed happenings.
Celebrate oysters and the growers of Rhode Island. If you run a restaurant and oysters are on the menu Bowen’s Wharf invites you to reach out to Mimi Dowd at email@example.com or if you wish to kick it up a notch and sponsor or partner then email Trixie Wadson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Wooden Boat Show
Stay tuned for news about how Bowen’s Wharf Company brings back the Wooden Boat Show in conjunction with the Newport International Boat Show. Y
ou’ll find a beautiful array of wooden boats in the water at Bowen’s Ferry Landing marina this September.
A special exhibit of Wood, Wind & Water will be on at Seamen’s Church Institute.
For more information on Bowen’s Wharf, visit www.bowenswharf.com.
More From What’s Up Newp
- WUN-ON-ONE: A virtual video conversation with Melanie Chartoff, comedian, actress, and author
- International Tennis Hall Of Fame acquires tennis-inspired art collection from Hall of Famer Gianni Clerici
- Mask mandate to be lifted for those fully vaccinated on May 18; most remaining COVID-19 restrictions to be lifted on May 21
- John E. Fogarty Foundation provides more than $175,000 in grants to 31 organizations across Rhode Island
- Obituary: Berit M. Hattendorf