Subscribe to What’s Up Newp’s daily newsletter
Be the first to know about breaking news, articles, and updates.
There’s still a few days left in 2015 but we’re already looking ahead to 2016 and marking our calendars down with the biggest events that we have to make sure we get to.
Here are What’sUpNewp’s 16 events not to miss in 2016.
Start marking those calendars.
1 – 28th Annual Newport Winter Festival – February 12 – 21, 2016: Featuring over 150 events, the Festival offers a unique winter experience combining food, festivities, music, and fun for all ages.
2. 58th Annual Newport Saint Patrick’s Day Parade – March 12, 2016: The parade begins at 11am at City Hall, runs through Washington Square, down Thames Street, and ends at St. Augustine’s Church.
3. Annual Island National Police Parade – May 1, 2016: The parade features over 4,000 law enforcement participants to commemorate National Police Week. Parade starts on West Main Road going towards Newport.
4. Bowen’s Wharf Oyster Festival – May 20 – 22, 2016: Bowen’s Wharf will host the Newport Oyster Festival on May 20-22, 2016 to promote Rhode Island-grown oysters. This will be your big chance to slurp oysters from all over Rhode Island, meet the growers, the shuckers and generally be a part of a feel-good festival where you’ll actually be helping our aquaculture and local environment!
5. World Match Racing – May 31st – June 4th, 2016: The professional sailing event will be similar to the America’s Cup World Series in 2012 where a race course will be set within yards of the shoreline for optimal spectator viewing. Both the start and finish line will be located in front of the public area. Live narration will be provided onshore following the action. The event will be open to the public with no admission fee.
6. Annual Great Chowder Cook-Off – June 18, 2016: The Annual Great Chowder Cook-Off will be held at Fort Adams State Park for the second year in a row
Content Presented By:
7. Newport Flower Show – June 24 – 26, 2016: During the Gilded Age, nearly every aspect of life was elevated to an art form. Gardens became stages for nature’s most brilliant performances, women’s fashions were created for stylish parades, and houses became museums for a lifetime of treasures. Join us as we celebrate all that is Gilded!
8. 48th Annual Newport Music Festival – July 8 – 24, 2016: Newport Music Festival continues the tradition of presenting unique chamber music programs, American debuts, world-class artists and gala special events in the Gilded Age summer cottages of Newport, Rhode Island.
9. International Tennis Hall Of Fame Tennis Championships – July 9 – 17, 2016: Contested on the historic grass tennis courts of the International Tennis Hall of Fame, the tournament is the only event played on grass courts outside of Europe, and it offers the only opportunity to see professional men’s tennis in the Northeast prior to the US Open.
10. Annual Craft Brew Races Newport – July 16, 2016: A fun walk/run 5k in Newport followed by a craft beer festival with more than 30 local craft breweries.
11. Annual Newport Folk Festival – July 22 – 24, 2016: The Newport Folk Festival, founded by George Wein in 1959, takes place on the grounds at Fort Adams State Park and features three stages of music, food, crafts and a number of displays. See website for lineup.
12. 8th Annual Newport Bridgefest – July 25 – 28, 2016: The Newport BridgeFest is a local, live music and music education festival that “bridges” the gap between the prestigious Newport Folk and Jazz Festivals for a continuous 10 days of music in our community.
13. 62nd Newport Jazz Festival – July 29 – 31, 2016: The festival features three full days of jazz on three unique stages at Fort Adams, one of the Park system’s national treasures situated at the mouth of Newport Harbor with panoramic views of the Newport Bridge and the East Passage.
14. 46th Annual Newport International Boat Show – September 15 – 18, 2016: One of the largest in-water boat shows in the country, NIBS features a full range of powerboats and sailboats from both domestic and international manufacturers.
15. 11th Annual Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival – September 23 – 25, 2016: Held in one of the most spectacular settings in America, this remarkable weekend experience features hundreds of wines from around the world, fabulous food, cooking demonstrations by nationally-renowned chefs, live and silent auctions and a gala celebration.
16. 26th Annual Bowen’s Wharf Seafood Festival – October 15 – 16, 2016: Historic Bowen’s Wharf in downtown Newport, RI, will host the 26th annual Bowen’s Wharf Seafood Festival, on October 15th and 16th.
Photo of World Match Racing