Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus and even the elves from the North Pole are coming to The City By The Sea this Christmas Season, here’s where to find them!
November 20th – December 25th
- Polar Express, The Polar Express Train Ride on the Newport & Narragansett Bay Railroad runs on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from November 20th through to Christmas. Trains depart each night at 4:30 and 6:30pm. On Saturday, December 5th, 12th, and 19th, trains depart at 4:30, 6:30, and 8:00pm. Each trip is approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes long. All of our cars are heated and protected from the winter elements. www.newportpolarexpress.com “When you pull into the North Pole Santa himself will emerge from his workshop to welcome the train. You can look out on the town, and see the large brick buildings where the toys are made and Santa and the elves live. As you stay comfortable and warm in your seat Santa will make his way through the train, greeting each boy and girl, mom and dad, while passing out the special first gift of Christmas: a bell cut from the reigns of his sleigh. Santa will join you on the return trip as you enjoy Christmas music and sing-alongs.”
Friday, December 4th
- Santa visits the Giant Gingerbread Lighthouse at the Newport Visitor’s Information Center, 1-5 p.m. America’s Cup Ave. Free. Visitors are encouraged to bring a non-perishable food item to fill the sleigh for local food pantires.
Saturday, December 5th
- 45th Annual Bowen’s Wharf Tree Lighting and Open House, America’s Cup Ave., 5:45 p.m. Frosty the Snowman and caroling starting at 4:30p.m. City official lights the tree, Santa and Mrs. Claus arrive by boat (weather permitting) at 5:45p.m. Live Music. Free. 849-2120. firstname.lastname@example.org
- SantaCon, 5th Annual SantaCon in Newport, RI on Saturday, December 5th. SantaCon is a mass gathering of people dressed in Santa costumes parading publicly on streets and in establishments, held every December in cities around the world. More Info
- Breakfast & Cookies with Santa & Mrs. Claus, Fort Adams. Enjoy breakfast or cookies with Santa and Mrs. Claus at Fort Adams. www.fortadams.org
- Santa’s Workshop, noon-3p.m., Easton’s Beach Carousel & Rotunda by The Newport Rotary Club. $5 per child includes a goody bag, crafts, cookie decorating, 1 ride on the carousel, 1 ride on the mini train. Tickets are purchased at the door, no advanced sales. 845-5800.
Sunday, December 6th
- Visit with Santa Claus at the Breakers, noon-3 p.m., 44 Ochre Point Ave. The jolly old elf will visit with children and hear their Christmas wish list. Refreshments. Regular daytime admission. For info. 847-1000. www.newportmansions.org
Friday, December 11th
- Newport Waterfront Events is ready to light downtown Newport’s beacon of seasonal cheer at their annual Tree Lighting Ceremony and Grand Opening on Friday, December 11th at 5pm at the Newport Skating Center! Celebrate with good cheer, hot cocoa and cookies, the debut of the Haven Brothers Concessions Food Truck, carolers, visits with Santa and the elves, skating performances with the Island Skating Academy and of course, they’ll get you out on the ice for your first skate of the winter. The festivities are hosted by Lite Rock 105. All ages are warmly welcome!
Saturday, December 12th
- Santa at the Brick Market Place 12:30-3:30 p.m. Thames St. Free
Sunday, December 13th
- Visit with Santa Claus at Marble House, noon-3 p.m., Bellevue Ave. The jolly old elf will visit with children and hear their Christmas wish list. Refreshments. Regular daytime admission. For info. 847-1000. www.newportmansions.org
- Christmas Open House at Glen Manor House, 2-4 p.m., 3 Frank Coelho Dr., Portsmouth. Local Talent, Santa arrives at 2:45 to greet children. Free. 683-4177. email@example.com
Saturday, December 19th
- Santa Claus arrives at the Clock Tower Square, noon-2 p.m., Rt. 114 in Portsmouth. Cookie decorating. Free.
- Community Tree Decorating and Santa Visit at Seamen’s Church Institute, 18 Market Sq. 1 p.m. for tree decorating, bring an ornament and help decorate the tree and 2 p.m. Santa arrives and will read a classic Christmas tale. Free. 847-4260.
Sunday, December 20th
- Visit with Santa Claus at the Elms, noon-3 p.m. Bellevue Ave. The jolly old elf will visit with children and hear their Christmas wish list. Refreshments. Regular daytime admission. For info call 847-1000. www.newportmansions.org