The marquee on the outside of the Opera House Theater & Performance Center is touting quite the statement in Washington Square; “26 Months Until Opening Night”.
According to the Opera House’s website, the completion of the restoration and renovation of the Opera House Theater & Performance Center is set for December of 2017, the theater’s 150th Anniversary.
Following the November 4, 2014 Rhode Island voter approval of the Cultural Facilities Bond, a $4.2 million commitment from the State of Rhode Island has been specifically approved to restore the historic Opera House Theater.
With $5 million in public and private funds secured, the Opera House is making progress on the $13.6 million capital campaign that funds the complete rehabilitation of the Opera House Theater.
During the restoration and renovation, they welcome contributions and pledges up to four years which are matched dollar for dollar by their state grant. Numerous and distinct Naming Opportunities are available and begin with our Cornerstones at $10,000.
Upon completion, the goal is that the Opera House will become a powerful cultural, community, educational and economic asset for the residents of Newport County, as well as the thousands of people who visit Newport annually.
The Road to Opening Night
According to Opera House Website
Phase I: COMPLETED
The first order of business with the Opera House Restoration was selective demolition to remove the interior walls of the tri-plex movie theater, seats, and screens to reveal the long-hidden architectural details on the walls, ceilings, and stage. This process was completed thanks to a grant from the Alletta Morris McBean Charitable Trust in 2011.
Phase II: IN PROGRESS
Currently, we are raising funds to begin the next stage of construction, restoring the old theater into a workable performance space. The completion of the restoration and renovation, set for December of 2017, the theater’s 150th Anniversary, will turn the Opera House into a powerful cultural, community, educational and economic asset for the residents of Newport County, as well as the thousands of people who visit our beautiful city annually.
The Capital Campaign is underway, visit the Capital Campaign page for more information.
To schedule a tour of the building, to review the architectural plans, or to discuss making a contribution to the Opera House Theater, contact Liz Drayton at email@example.com or (401) 619-4599.
Visit www.operahousetheaternewportri.org For More Information
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- What’sUp Interview: Sean Oshima of Oshima Brothers coming to Norman Bird Sanctuary September 24th
- ReVision: Newport Art Museum announces new exhibition by Annu Palakunnathu Matthew
- Aquidneck Land Trust announces the start of its annual Art & Writing Contest
- Gerry Goldstein: Music, with nature calling the tune
- Apple Picking Season has arrived! “Six Picks” Orchards in Newport County and beyond
- Jamestown Arts Center seeks artist submissions for ‘RAW: Reassessment and Wonder’
- National Data shows an increase in child poverty and uninsured children
- 24th International Seapower Symposium taking place at Naval War College this week
- Obituary: Anne S. Gadoury
- Obituary: John Richard Davidson