A 25-year-old former Newport resident is in critical condition following a shark attack while surfing on Friday morning off of Oahu’s North Shore.
Colin Cook, now a resident of Kawailoa, moved to Hawaii from Newport, Rhode Island three years ago, according Lisa Kubota from Hawaiian News Now;
“Here’s a photo of him with his father. We’re told Cook is in surgery at the Queen’s Medical Center after a shark bit his leg in waters off Leftovers Beach Park.”
The severity of the injuries have not been confirmed, some witnesses have reported that he appeared to have lost his leg above the knee and suffered hand injuries from fighting off the shark. Confirmation and details to come.
Update: According to Hawaii News Now – “It was his left leg that got taken, and then it was his left hand that he lost a couple of his fingertips on,” Chris Webster, Cook’s cousin, told Hawaii News Now. “So I imagine he was holding the shark off while he was punching it.”
Cook’s Ties To Newport, RI
Cook completed the School of Composites Technology program at International Yacht Restoration School (IYRS) here in Newport in 2013.
According to IYRS, Colin chose to pursue a lifestyle he was passionate about at JC Surfboards in Oahu, Hawaii, one of the top surfboard manufacturing companies in the world. After completing an internship, JC Surfboards brought Colin on in a full time design position with the company.
- Read more from SurfMag.com – North Shore Shark Attack
- Read more from Hawaii News Now – Man Critically Injured After Shark Attack Off North Shore
- Read more from ABC News – Surfer Bitten by Shark in Hawaii
This story will be updated as more information is received.
Content Presented By
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Motels Rock the Odeum (September 16, 2021)