Photo: Passing Time by Edward King. Prints available at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tall Ship Providence, the Official Flagship and Tall Ship Ambassador to the State of Rhode Island, will be launched into Newport Harbor on Wednesday, September 30th.
The 110′ accurate replica of America’s first war ship has been under repair since she fell over in Newport Shipyard during Winter Storm Juno back in January.
According to The Providence Journal – The Providence is scheduled to go back in the water at 3 or 4 p.m and will be brought to Bristol Marine Yard in Somerset, Mass. for permanent repairs, including a new mast and spars.
The public is invited to Newport Shipyard to view the launch.
Tall Ship Providence has been featured in movies such as “Pirates of the Caribbean – Dead Man’s Chest” & “Pirates of the Caribbean – At World’s End” and in the true life story of Captain John Newton, in a film starring Cuba Gooding Jr. called “Freedom”.
Photos from when the Tall Ship Providence toppled over on January 29th
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library
- Governor, RIDOH, Newport City officials, community partners to host canvassing effort on Wednesday to encourage vaccination