Photo: Passing Time by Edward King. Prints available at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tall Ship Providence, the Official Flagship and Tall Ship Ambassador to the State of Rhode Island, will be launched into Newport Harbor on Wednesday, September 30th.
The 110′ accurate replica of America’s first war ship has been under repair since she fell over in Newport Shipyard during Winter Storm Juno back in January.
According to The Providence Journal – The Providence is scheduled to go back in the water at 3 or 4 p.m and will be brought to Bristol Marine Yard in Somerset, Mass. for permanent repairs, including a new mast and spars.
The public is invited to Newport Shipyard to view the launch.
Tall Ship Providence has been featured in movies such as “Pirates of the Caribbean – Dead Man’s Chest” & “Pirates of the Caribbean – At World’s End” and in the true life story of Captain John Newton, in a film starring Cuba Gooding Jr. called “Freedom”.
Photos from when the Tall Ship Providence toppled over on January 29th
The Latest From WUN
- Newport String Quartet to perform Dvorak, Montgomery, and Tate at St Columba’s
- ‘Normandie’ estate on Ocean Drive sells for $12.5 million
- On the market for a new home? Check out these 29 open houses happening this weekend
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Popovic, Nelson, and a Legend
- AARP Analysis: COVID-19 deaths and cases in Rhode Island nursing homes increased from August to September