Minutes after the world heard of Japan’s surrender to the United States on August 14th, 1945, Alfred Eisenstaedt took a picture of a sailor kissing a nurse in Times Square.
That photo, taken 70 years ago today, would become one of the most famous photographs in history after being published in Life Magazine.
The sailor? George Mendonsa who was born in Newport, RI and now calls Middletown, RI his home.
Here’s a good look at his legendary story…
More From What’s Up Newp
- This Day in RI History: May 18, 1652 – Rhode Island becomes the first colony to pass an anti-slavery law
- Now Hiring: 125+ job opportunities available right now
- Rhode Island Hospitality Jobs: RI Hospitality Association launches new website for employers and job seekers
- Governor McKee, RIDOH change up COVID-19 press conference schedule, will now take place every other Thursday
- CCRI hosts 5th Annual Raising Opportunities Benefit to support students’ ‘comeback’ amidst pandemic