Minutes after the world heard of Japan’s surrender to the United States on August 14th, 1945, Alfred Eisenstaedt took a picture of a sailor kissing a nurse in Times Square.
That photo, taken 70 years ago today, would become one of the most famous photographs in history after being published in Life Magazine.
The sailor? George Mendonsa who was born in Newport, RI and now calls Middletown, RI his home.
Here’s a good look at his legendary story…
The Latest From WUN
- Weather Alert: High Wind Warning issued for the region – Storm arrives Tuesday
- Obituary: Elizabeth Marion (Matter) Chambers
- Best-selling author Ann Hood hosts ‘The Writing Life’ public talk at Salve Regina on Oct. 30
- Brown University to significantly expand financial aid and college access
- What’s Up This Week: Hocus Pocus, Tour de Fright, Halloween festivities, and much more