Forty competitors and teams took to the start line at 6am in the inaugural Race The State sponsored by BankNewport and Ocean Point Insurance on Sunday, August 9th. The new multi-sport event created and run by Manuka Sports Event Management, a Middletown, Rhode Island based business, had individuals and teams run 5 miles through Little Compton, paddle 3 miles across the Sakonnet River, run 7.5 miles from Middletown to Newport, kayak 5.6 miles to Narragansett via a portage in Jamestown and cycle 28.5 miles from Narragansett through South Kingstown, Richmond, Hopkinton, Charlestown and finishing in Westerly.
Middletown, Rhode Island resident David FitzGerald finished the course with an elapsed time of 5 hours 2 minutes and 22 seconds in what were very challenging conditions on the paddle and kayak legs. North Kingstown resident, Kristen Ralphs won the female division with an elapsed time of 7:42:01. In the team divisions, local Jamestown business, Kettlebottom’s 4-person team took top honors with an elapsed time of 5:02:48. In the 3-person team, 33 Donahue won with an overall time of 6:33:26 and NWC Warriors won the 2-person division with a time of 7:41:53.
Complete results with splits can be viewed HERE.
This first time event made to take advantage of the unique geography of the state of Rhode Island was made possible through the support of BankNewport and Ocean Point Insurance. The logistically challenging race spanned 10 communities and two bodies of water. All competitors were required to have a support team assisting with logistics throughout the race and race organizers had over 65 volunteers both on water and off stationed throughout the course. A portion of all entries benefited Special Olympics Rhode Island.
Sources: Photo -1st place – Dave Fitzgerald Finish
More From What’s Up Newp
- This Day in RI History: May 18, 1652 – Rhode Island becomes the first colony to pass an anti-slavery law
- Now Hiring: 125+ job opportunities available right now
- Rhode Island Hospitality Jobs: RI Hospitality Association launches new website for employers and job seekers
- Governor McKee, RIDOH change up COVID-19 press conference schedule, will now take place every other Thursday
- CCRI hosts 5th Annual Raising Opportunities Benefit to support students’ ‘comeback’ amidst pandemic