The City of Newport today announced that its staff is preparing for the return of the Broadway Street Fair this coming Saturday, Oct. 8th with stepped-up trash, safety, and parking operations on tap.
The City is advising residents and fair attendees of the following:
- Beginning at approximately 10 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 8th, vehicular access to Broadway will be restricted before the street becomes PEDESTRIAN ONLY from 12 p.m. until 6 p.m.
- Public Services crews will be installing additional trash receptacles throughout the fair area, and attendees are asked to be respectful of the streetscape by depositing trash and recycling in the appropriate containers.
- Attendees are also reminded that alcohol consumption should be confined to the boundaries of properly licensed establishments only. The Broadway Street Fair is first and foremost a family-friendly event and police will be actively patrolling for open container violations.
- Parking is expected to be limited in the area surrounding the fair with motorists advised to utilize the Gateway Center Parking Lot, Mary Street Lot, Touro Street Lot, or Long Wharf Parking Lot. As a tip, motorists are reminded to download the City’s official Passport Parking App at www.CityofNewport.com/Parking to pay for and manage your parking experience straight from your smartphone.
- Finally, please note that the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority will be diverting routes to accommodate the festivities, so be sure to check RIPTA.com for complete service updates.
More information about the fair can be found at www.BroadwayStreetFair.com.