Ava Desiree Cromwell, age 63, of Newport, Rhode Island, passed away on August 30, 2021 at Newport Hospital. She was the wife of Teon Cromwell, Sr.
Ava was born in Key West, Florida to Jimmy and Marjorie (Gallagher) Smith. She moved to Newport as a child and spent the rest of her life here. She graduated from Rogers High School and worked several jobs until she found a career working at the DeCA Commissary on Naval Base, Newport.
Ava was also a woman of strong faith, and the New HBC Worship Center was the focus of her spiritual life for many years, where she served as the church Treasurer for several years. Some of her favorite things to do, outside of church activities, were spending time with her three beautiful grandchildren, shopping with her children and tending to her colorful garden.
Ava is survived by her husband of 37 years, Teon Cromwell, Sr of Newport; her children Aneisa Cromwell of Providence, Teon Cromwell, Jr. of Newport, and Tia Cromwell of Newport, and her beloved grandchildren Marcus, Teona, and Avani. She will be missed by her dear aunt, Pauline Johnson; cousins, Candace Antone, and Leslie Pertilla, and many nieces and nephews.
Visiting hours will be held on Tuesday, September 7 from 4:00-7:00pm at Memorial Funeral Home, 375 Broadway, Newport.
Funeral Services will be held on Wednesday, September 8, at 11:00am at the Memorial Funeral Home. Burial will follow at _____ Cemetery, Middletown.
Additional information at www.memorialfuneralhome.com
More from What’s Up Newp
- Newport Illuminated Boat Parade canceled due to weather
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Neutral Nation, Deer Tick and the All-Star Stars
- MLK Center to host free community holiday dinner on December 1
- Newport, Tiverton groups sharing $660,000 in grants to strengthen nonprofits led by people of color
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Schemers ring in the holiday season at The Met
- Blackstone River Theatre Holiday Craft Fair and Festival returns with 24 crafters and live music
- Just My Opinion: What are you thankful for in 2021?
- Newport Jazz Festival releases 2021 Thank You Video
- RITBA: For the first time since the pandemic began, traffic returning to 2019 levels on Pell Bridge
- Singing For Shelter returns December 1 – 22, nightly virtual live concerts will raise money for local shelters