Manuel “Manny” Zapanta, 81, of Portsmouth, Rhode Island, passed away, with family present, on May 28, 2021 at Charlton Memorial Hospital in Fall River, MA.
Manny was born in Guagua, Philippines, to Maria Calma and Apolonio Zapanta.
Manny was married to Maria (Nieves) Zapanta, for 40 years.
Manny proudly served in the United States Navy for over 20 years, retiring in 1992, with the rank of Senior Chief. Manny continued his government service at the Navy Commissary in various roles. He earned his Associate’s Degree from the New England Institute of Technology. He was an active member of the Masons and Filipino American Association of Newport, having served in leadership roles in both organizations.
Manny is survived by his wife Maria, and his children; Javier Zapanta, wife Julia Karkut. and grandson Joshua Zapanta of Epping, NH, Ronald Zapanta of Portsmouth, RI and Heather Zapanta.
A Life Celebration will be held on Saturday, June 12th from 1pm to 5pm at the St. Johns Masonic Lodge No. 1, 81 Sprague Street in Portsmouth.
Burial will be private with military honors at Rhode Island Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Exeter, RI.
More from What’s Up Newp
- What’s Up Newp Legislative Survey: Rep. Lauren Carson
- Jay Leno surprises Bit Players audience with a 30-minute set of stand-up comedy
- Gerry Goldstein: Holiday sweets, baked strictly by the numbers
- Buy Local “Six Picks” – Local Art and Gift shops
- Opinion: Bishop’s 4th Street Diner and the North End Urban Plan
- Newport Illuminated Boat Parade canceled due to weather
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Neutral Nation, Deer Tick and the All-Star Stars
- MLK Center to host free community holiday dinner on December 1
- Newport, Tiverton groups sharing $660,000 in grants to strengthen nonprofits led by people of color
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Schemers ring in the holiday season at The Met