What’s Up Newp’s content is free to read, and always will be, but we rely on your support to keep it that way.
It takes just 30 seconds and you can choose the amount.
Manuel “Manny” Zapanta, 81, of Portsmouth, Rhode Island, passed away, with family present, on May 28, 2021 at Charlton Memorial Hospital in Fall River, MA.
Manny was born in Guagua, Philippines, to Maria Calma and Apolonio Zapanta.
Manny was married to Maria (Nieves) Zapanta, for 40 years.
Manny proudly served in the United States Navy for over 20 years, retiring in 1992, with the rank of Senior Chief. Manny continued his government service at the Navy Commissary in various roles. He earned his Associate’s Degree from the New England Institute of Technology. He was an active member of the Masons and Filipino American Association of Newport, having served in leadership roles in both organizations.
Manny is survived by his wife Maria, and his children; Javier Zapanta, wife Julia Karkut. and grandson Joshua Zapanta of Epping, NH, Ronald Zapanta of Portsmouth, RI and Heather Zapanta.
A Life Celebration will be held on Saturday, June 12th from 1pm to 5pm at the St. Johns Masonic Lodge No. 1, 81 Sprague Street in Portsmouth.
Burial will be private with military honors at Rhode Island Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Exeter, RI.
More From What’s Up Newp
- Obituary: Claire E. (Randall) Curtis
- Obituary: Marianne F. (Fitzgerald) Marley
- Forum Lodge awards scholarships to two Aquidneck Island high school graduates
- Robert Berry, rock musician and former member of Keith Emerson’s “3” joins What’s Up Newp for a live virtual conversation on Monday
- Sax greats Abate and Moretti release new albums in 2021
- Easton’s Beach reopens for swimming
- Obituary: Anna Maria DeSousa
- Obituary: Manuel G. Moitoza, III
- What’s Up at the Movies: We Review “In the Heights”
- The Gamm Theatre Announces Auditions for Season 37 (2021-2022)
- Brian C. Jones: In case of emergency, don’t call me
- RIDOH and DEM are advising people to avoid contact with Almy Pond due to a blue-green algae
- Record Store Day returns Saturday, June 12th
- Newport Polo will host its annual Newport Cup on Saturday
- DEM hosting virtual workshop on draft water quality restoration study for Newport water supply reservoirs