David G. McAuliffe, age 95, of Middletown, RI, passed away on May 15, 2021 at home. He was the beloved husband of Robin (Leso) McAuliffe for over 40 years.
David was born in Providence, RI to the late Simon and Catherine McAuliffe. He joined the US Army as a young man and served in the Air Corps during WWII as an airplane mechanic. He wanted to be a pilot for the Army, but it wasn’t meant to be, despite his love for airplanes. David’s dream of flying came true when he earned a civilian pilot’s license and maintained that license for many years.
David continued to work with airplanes after the war, taking a position at the Quonset Naval Air Station as both an airplane mechanic and supervisor. Upon the closing of the base, he joined the Providence Police Department in the Communications Department.
David is also survived by his daughter, Elizabeth McAuliffe, RSM, Ed.D of Salve Regina University, and many beloved nieces and nephews.
A Memorial Mass will be held at St. Lucy’s Church, 909 West Main Road, Middletown, on June 22 at 9:00 AM.
Memorial donations may be made to the national Alzheimer’s Association.
More from What’s Up Newp
- What’s Up Newp Legislative Survey: Rep. Lauren Carson
- Jay Leno surprises Bit Players audience with a 30-minute set of stand-up comedy
- Gerry Goldstein: Holiday sweets, baked strictly by the numbers
- Buy Local “Six Picks” – Local Art and Gift shops
- Opinion: Bishop’s 4th Street Diner and the North End Urban Plan
- Newport Illuminated Boat Parade canceled due to weather
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Neutral Nation, Deer Tick and the All-Star Stars
- MLK Center to host free community holiday dinner on December 1
- Newport, Tiverton groups sharing $660,000 in grants to strengthen nonprofits led by people of color
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Schemers ring in the holiday season at The Met