On Monday, February 8th the Portsmouth Town Council signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Church Community Housing Corporation to begin the process of potentially building low and moderate income housing and a Senior Center in Portsmouth. Prior to this Town Council meeting this MOU was never discussed in public by the Town Council or the Town Administrator.
The building that houses the Portsmouth Senior Center has been a topic of concern for many years. The building requires major renovations and residents including the Portsmouth Senior Center Board of Directors have been working to resolve these issues. Therefore it was amazing to learn that the Town Administrator has been working on this MOU for more than six months.
The residents and members of the Senior Center deserve better. Behind the scenes negotiations and undisclosed meetings are not the hallmark of “good government”. Not involving the residents and members of the Portsmouth Senior Center in a potential multimillion dollar project is unfathomable.
The Town Council needs to establish a town sanctioned committee consisting of Senior Center members and interested residents from a broad demographic rather than a focus group. This will allow residents to voice their concerns in an open forum and help develop the future of the Senior Center. We must all advocate for community involvement in determining the future direction of Portsmouth and its senior citizens.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now