Want to make sure you never miss another story like this from What’s Up Newp? Sign up to receive our free newsletters in your inbox every morning!
The future of Winner Winner on Thames Street is up in the air. In mid-December, both the building at 677 Thames Street and the business was listed for sale by Kirby Properties. Read more – Future for Winner Winner is “a bit hazy”
On Friday, Mystic Aquarium’s Animal Rescue Program responded to Newport for a stranded dolphin in the shallow waters off of King Park. Mystic Aquarium removed the dolphin and conducted a thorough health assessment. Unfortunately upon examination, it was determined that the animal was critically ill and unfortunately, the decision was made to “humanely end the animal’s suffering”.
Save The Date: Plant City X opens on Friday, January 15 at 619 West Main Road in Middletown. Want to work there? The restaurant is still hiring for all positions (kitchen experience preferred). Any hiring inquiries can be sent to Chef Luis at email@example.com
Have you been among the millions who have watched Wonder Woman 1984 since it came out on Christmas Day? What’s Up Newp’s film critic Alexander Harrison reviews the film here (spoiler – he’s critical of it).
What’s Up Newp’s Authors’ Series continues today at 11:30 am when Cornelia Dean joins us for a live virtual video conversation. Dean is a Distinguished Lecturer and Writer-in-Residence at Brown University and a science writer and former science editor of The New York Times.
Reservations for picnic areas, covered shelters, and recreational fields at Rhode Island state parks for the 2021 season begin today.
Reminder – Governor Raimondo’s next COVID-19 press briefing will take place at 1 pm on Thursday, January 7.
On This Day: 1882—John McCarton, ship’s printer aboard the U.S.S. New Hampshire, leaps overboard off Newport, R.I. to save Musician 2nd Class Jabez Smith from drowning; McCarton is later awarded the Medal of Honor.
Happy Birthday today to Corey Hollins, Steve Ahlquist, Steve Lavin, David Marlowe, Peter Fisher, and Casey Kirwin.
~ Ryan Belmore
Have a tip, story, suggestion, birthday, anniversary, new job, or any other nugget for this newsletter? Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The latest headlines from What’s Up Newp
What’s Up Interview: Director/Producer Chris Sparling, RI Native, Screenwriter of “Greenland”
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
A look at what’s happening In Newport County today
- Monday – A chance of showers, mainly before 7 am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. North wind 13 to 15 mph. The chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Monday Night – Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. North wind 10 to 13 mph.
- Today – N wind 11 to 13 kt, with gusts as high as 21 kt. A chance of showers, mainly before 7 am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – N wind 9 to 11 kt. Mostly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 45°F.
Sun & Moon
- Sunrise: 7:12 am | Sunset: 4:30 pm
- High tide at 11:24 am | Low tide at 4:18 am & 4:54 pm
- Moon: Waning Gibbous, 20 days, 76% lighting
Things To Do
- 6:30 am – Train Hard, Recover Well at NPT HealthWorks
- 4 pm to 8 pm – Sparkling Lights at The Breakers
- 7 pm – Virtual Presentation: The Ponzi Scheme
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
City & Government
- 9 am – Little Compton Pension Committee
- 1:45 pm – Newport Zoning Board of Review
- 5 pm – Newport School Committee – Ad Hoc School Building Committee
- 5 pm – Jamestown Town Council
- 5:30 pm – Middletown Town Council
- 6:30 pm – Jamestown Town Council
- 7 pm – Newport Zoning Board of Review
- 7 pm – Portsmouth Free Public Library
- 7 pm – Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust
- 7 pm – Tiverton Harbor Commission
- 8 pm – Tiverton Harbor Commission
We’ll See You Out There
Photo by kara_ann322
Tag your photos with #WhatsUpNewp for a chance to be featured by us.