News from New York Yacht Club American Magic, Challenger for the 36th America’s Cup
Sunday evening on New Zealand’s Hauraki Gulf, with live footage streaming to anxious sailing fans around the globe, American Magic sailors and support crew fought a desperate battle to save PATRIOT, the AC75 the 150-person team spent years designing, building, sailing and refining. On her 44th day of sailing, and her third day of racing in the Prada Cup, PATRIOT sustained major mid-race damage to the port side of the hull and was in real danger of slipping beneath the waves.
Moments earlier, the sleek, blue-hulled AC75 was winning her race against Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli with room and style to spare. As soon as a 25-knot rain squall sent PATRIOT flying into the air and then down onto her side, her fate rested in the hands of a tireless coalition of team personnel, America’s Cup competitors, first responders, and many others.
Watch American Magic’s RACE WEEK, Ep.2, to see how it this dramatic mid-Gulf rescue effort unfolded on the racecourse, on the team’s chase boats, and at the team’s base.
The Latest From WUN
- Newport Garden Club to host a talk by ‘The Seedhuntress’
- Changing seasons, changing exhibits at Little Compton Historical Society
- ‘Rock The Mansion’ raises more than $150,000 for Newport Mental Health
- Obituary: Grace Elaine Kinnunen
- Tony® Award-Winning Musical “Million Dollar Quartet” coming to Boston’s Boch Center October 29th + 30th