This obituary originally appeared on O’Neill Hayes Funeral Home.
Michael J. Clooney, 38, passed away peacefully after a 7-year battle with brain cancer, in the company of his wife and father at Royal Middletown on January 12, 2021. Mike was born in Newport, RI to Robert and Sandra (Rossi) Clooney in January 1982. Mike was preceded in death by his mother, Sandra. He is survived by his wife, Lisa, and son, Matthew; his father, Robert; his older brother, Bryan, and his wife, Megan; his younger brother, Jeff, and his wife, Jackie; as well as a brother-in-law, Shawn Clarke, and his wife, Amy; and 3 nieces and 2 nephews.
Mike made the most of his upbringing in the Fifth Ward, referring to it as “God’s Country”. He had a love of sports and the outdoors and played 5W Little League, Pop Warner Football and wrestled in high school. He graduated from Rogers High School in 2000. During that time, he enjoyed jumping from Doris Dukes with his friends, loved swimming, golf and hanging out at Gooseberry beach. Mike also loved traveling and often visited New Hampshire where he liked to hike, swim and snowboard.
Mike most recently worked for CAT Entertainment Services as a generator technician until his illness prevented him from doing so. He also helped out with the family ice company, Eastern Ice.
There will be a small service for the immediate family with a memorial being delayed until people can assemble safely. In lieu of flowers, the family prefers donations to be made in Mike’s honor to the Lifespan Cancer Institute, 139 Point Street, Providence, RI 02903 or by visiting www.giving.lifespan.org/LCI
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits