During the month of December, 40 local musicians held virtual house concerts via Facebook Live and raised a record $28,695 for local homeless shelters through the efforts of Singing For Shelter.
“Because of these musicians, The McKinney Shelter received $13,695 in direct donations and Lucy’s Hearth received $15,000. We are grateful to these musicians and to our enormously compassionate community for stepping up to help our homeless neighbors during this trying time,” Singing For Shelter co-founder Mark Gorman said. Singing For Shelter is in its 13th year and its annual holiday concerts have raised over $113,000 for local homeless shelters.
You can watch many of the concerts here – Watch | Dozens of local musicians are Singing For Shelter Dec. 5 – 22
More From What’s Up Newp
- Aquidneck Land Trust awards 13 grants to local community, neighborhood groups through Merritt Neighborhood Fund
- Newport Polo’s 20th annual charity gala will benefit Jeffrey Osborne Foundation
- Preservation Society of Newport County receives prestigious award from Garden Club of America
- What’s Up This Weekend in Newport County: May 14 – 16
- Beavertail Lighthouse, Watch Hill Lighthouse are being given away for free