During the month of December, 40 local musicians held virtual house concerts via Facebook Live and raised a record $28,695 for local homeless shelters through the efforts of Singing For Shelter.
“Because of these musicians, The McKinney Shelter received $13,695 in direct donations and Lucy’s Hearth received $15,000. We are grateful to these musicians and to our enormously compassionate community for stepping up to help our homeless neighbors during this trying time,” Singing For Shelter co-founder Mark Gorman said. Singing For Shelter is in its 13th year and its annual holiday concerts have raised over $113,000 for local homeless shelters.
You can watch many of the concerts here – Watch | Dozens of local musicians are Singing For Shelter Dec. 5 – 22
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits