This obituary originally appeared on O’Neill Hayes Funeral Home.
Evelyn M. Barrett, 90, of Newport, RI passed away Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at Village House Nursing Center in Newport. She was the wife of the late William E. Barrett.
Born July 4, 1930 in Newport, she was a daughter of the late Alexander J. Shea and Evelyn (Tilley) Shea. Evelyn was a graduate of Rogers High School and University of Rhode Island and completed a dietetic internship at St. Luke’s Hospital in New York City. She worked as a registered dietitian at Newport Hospital until her retirement in 1989.
Evelyn was a proud member of the Rogers High School and URI Alumni Associations, the American Dietetic Association, Circle of Scholars at Salve Regina University and the Edward King House. Evelyn was a life-long parishioner of St. Joseph’s Church and member of the Rosary and Altar Society.
Evelyn is survived by her children, Bethany E. Barrett, Brendan A. Barrett, Brian D. Barrett, Bruce W. Barrett and four nieces.
A Mass of Christian burial will be held Monday, December 7th at St. Joseph’s Church, corner of Broadway & Mann Ave. Newport at 9:00AM. Burial will private.
In lieu of flowers, donations in Evelyn’s memory may be made to the Potter League for Animals, 87 Oliphant Ln, Middletown, RI 02842 or by visiting www.potterleague.org/donate
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island on Wednesday
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits
- Pell Bridge to transition to all-electronic tolling on October 27
- The Reef set to host inaugural Savor Newport Wine and Food Fest
- RI Hospitality Association’s 18th Annual Economic Outlook Breakfast predicts continued recovery in 2022
- Obituary: Peter J. O’Connell
- Concert Recap and Photos: George Thorogood at Indian Ranch (September 19, 2021)
- Obituary: Arthur Bennett Shattuck