U.S. Coast Guard Northeast posted on Twitter Monday evening just after 7:30 pm that rescue crews from Castle Hill, Air Station Cape Cod and the Narragansett Bay Marine Task Force were out searching Newport Harbor for a possible person in the water.
#HappeningNow Rescue crews from STA Castle Hill, Air Station #CapeCod, and the #Narragansett Bay Marine Task Force are searching for a possible person in the water in the #Newport Harbor, RI. #SAR pic.twitter.com/1GmMpeZ7Zx— USCGNortheast (@USCGNortheast) December 29, 2020
As of Wednesday morning, the search was still on according to U.S. Coast Guard Northeast, “After continuing to search through the night, Cutter Steelhead will be joined by a helicopter from Air Station #CapeCod for a first light search this morning.”
At approximately 1:35 pm, the U.S. Coast Guard Northeast announced on Twitter that were suspending their search pending further information.
WJAR with more on the search here – Coast Guard searches for possible missing boater in Newport Harbor
This story is developing.
The Latest From WUN
- Concert Recap and Photos: Jake Blount at Common Fence Music (October 16, 2021)
- Cathleen Carr named new executive director of newportFILM
- Ocean State Job Lot hosting hiring events at all store locations
- Potter League to host 32nd Annual Heart & Sole Walk for Animals at Fort Adams
- The Beach Boys To play Mohegan Sun Arena on New Year’s Eve