The Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. State Holiday Commission, chaired by Rep. Raymond A. Hull (D-Dist. 6, Providence, North Providence) have announced the annual essay contest for the upcoming holiday event.
“Every year, this essay contest tends to be one of the most enjoyable aspects of our yearly celebration and the commission and event attendees truly look forward to what our state’s youth have to say regarding the legacy of Dr. King. Although this year has been difficult for us all, there is an opportunity to reflect upon and put into action the teachings of Dr. King during this time of uncertainty and I encourage all of our students to participate in this year’s contest,” said Representative Hull.
Four winners will be chosen (2 middle school students and 2 high school students) and each winner will receive a $100 prize. The contest is open to all middle and high school students in Rhode Island.
The contest rules are as follows:
- Entries must be from RI middle or high school students
- Essays must be typed in the Microsoft Word format and limited to 500-750 (middle school) or 750-1000 words (high school)
- Essays must include completed Entry Forms (attached) and be submitted individually as the original work of only one student
- Essays and Entry Forms MUST be electronically submitted to MLKRICommission@gmail.com
- The Commission and the Providence Journal reserve the right to promote, publish, and/or distribute any or all entries.
The deadline for applicants is Monday, December 7 and more information can be attained at MLKRICommission@gmail.com.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2021 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. State Holiday will take place virtually on January 18 and can be watched on Capitol TV or streamed at http://www.rilegislature.gov/CapTV/Pages/default.aspx.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Motels Rock the Odeum (September 16, 2021)
- 4th Annual Cardines Classic featuring Army versus Navy rescheduled to October 1
- Davis Cup will take place at the International Tennis Hall of Fame this weekend
- What’s Up This Weekend in Newport County: Things to do, live music, and more (Sept. 17 – 19)
- Rhode Island Pop-Punk band Another One Down! releases single + video “Headspace”
- 23 open houses happening this weekend (Sept. 17 – 19)
- X Shore: Swedish electric boating brand opens office at Safe Harbor Newport Shipyard