With funding from the Elks National Foundation (ENF), the Newport
Elks Lodge #104 is sponsoring Virtual Mental Health First Aid (MHFA)
certification classes for adults who work with youth ages 12 to 18. The
class, taught by Newport Mental Health’s MHFA Trainer Sandy Oxx, is
free to participants and will be held on Saturdays in October 2020
through March 2021. Check the website to register and for exact times
and dates: http://www.newportmentalhealth.org/mhfa.
Similar to CPR and First Aid classes, MHFA helps participants learn
the signs and symptoms of mental health disorders and how to best
assist someone in crisis or with an emerging mental health disorder.
The Mental Health First Aid class is part of Newport Mental Health’s
new youth center at 42 Valley Road, set to open in November.
The Latest From WUN
- What’s Up This Weekend: Heart & Sole Walk for Animals, Goat Hikes, Barks & Brews, and more
- Obituary: Gardiner Lee Sherman
- The Minks coming to Askew Thursday, October 21
- Irish immigrant women in domestic service topic of upcoming lecture
- Foiling Kiteboarder slashes 1 minute and 14 seconds off Around Jamestown Record