After being a member of the Newport City Council for almost 20 years, I am appalled at the ugliness of this campaign–nationally, statewide, and locally. As most people know, I am assertive in my role as City Councilor. It is part of my role in representing my constituents.
This week I have been hearing of some very false accusations put forth by people who are writing cards to voters and calling voters to state that I should be unelected. To set the record straight, I state the following:
- I am a resident of RI and pay both local and state income taxes.
- I am entitled to a vacation like everyone else and go to FL on occasion but never more than a month a year, if that.
- Any person running for City Council must be a resident and registered voter in Newport in order to vote.
- I am not looking to sell Rogers High School in order to list the land and make a real estate commission on the transaction. I do residential sales and my reputation means more to me than money ever will.
Kathryn “Kate” Leonard
Newport City Council and Re-election candidate
The Latest From WUN
- Newport Garden Club to host a talk by ‘The Seedhuntress’
- Changing seasons, changing exhibits at Little Compton Historical Society
- ‘Rock The Mansion’ raises more than $150,000 for Newport Mental Health
- Obituary: Grace Elaine Kinnunen
- Tony® Award-Winning Musical “Million Dollar Quartet” coming to Boston’s Boch Center October 29th + 30th