Middletown, RI – AmpSurf will hold its 4th annual adaptive surfing clinic at Second Beach with events on September 11 – 13th 2020.
AmpSurf will kick off the weekend with a 9-11 memorial paddle out at Surfer’s End at 6 pm on Friday. The surf clinic will look a little different this year because of precautions taken to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The most notable changes will be an earlier start time and spreading out the clinic over two days. The earlier start time is to avoid normal beach crowds and the two-day event allows 24 people to surf while keeping the group size at 15 or less. Mini adaptive surf therapy clinics will start at 6 and 8:30 AM both Saturday and Sunday.
AmpSurf clinics are free for anyone with any kind of disability, but a $50 refundable deposit is required to reserve a spot. There are still a few spots open. Anyone interested in participating must register at ampsurf.org. No beach registrations will be allowed.
Local Sponsors include:
- Island Surf and Sport
- Custom House Coffee
- Aquidneck Pizza
- University Orthopedics
- First Command
- Sweet Berry Farms
- Del’s Lemonade
- Newport Insurance
- VFW Post 9404
- OceanPointe Church
- SoCo Cycle RI
More from What’s Up Newp
- Newport Illuminated Boat Parade canceled due to weather
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Neutral Nation, Deer Tick and the All-Star Stars
- MLK Center to host free community holiday dinner on December 1
- Newport, Tiverton groups sharing $660,000 in grants to strengthen nonprofits led by people of color
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Schemers ring in the holiday season at The Met
- Blackstone River Theatre Holiday Craft Fair and Festival returns with 24 crafters and live music
- Just My Opinion: What are you thankful for in 2021?
- Newport Jazz Festival releases 2021 Thank You Video
- RITBA: For the first time since the pandemic began, traffic returning to 2019 levels on Pell Bridge
- Singing For Shelter returns December 1 – 22, nightly virtual live concerts will raise money for local shelters