Governor Gina Raimondo and the Rhode Island Department of Health will host a press briefing at 1 pm on Wednesday, August 12th to provide an update on COVID-19 in Rhode Island.
What’s Up Newp will provide updates below as the press briefing happens.
Updates from press briefing
Governor: Strongly recommends Rhode Islanders sign up for daily emails from her office, download the Crush COVID App.
Gov: “We’re not going to open school until they’re safe”. Announces start of school has been pushed back to September 14th. Last day of school would be June 25th (177 days of school for students).
Gov: Timeline to make decision on how schools will return to school will be made during the week of August 31st.
Gov: On gatherings, reminds that limit is 15 for social gatherings. Those in groups found to be higher than 15 may each be fined up to $500. Reminds Rhode Islanders to keep a contact tracing notebook.
Gov: Reminds Rhode Islanders of “golden rule” – don’t leave your house if you’re sick. Don’t go to work if you’re sick.
Gov: Will be joined by Dr. Fauci on her Facebook Page at 3 pm on Thursday. Invites Rhode Islaners to join her.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits