Governor Gina Raimondo and the Rhode Island Department of Health will host a press briefing at 1 pm on Wednesday, August 12th to provide an update on COVID-19 in Rhode Island.
What’s Up Newp will provide updates below as the press briefing happens.
Updates from press briefing
Governor: Strongly recommends Rhode Islanders sign up for daily emails from her office, download the Crush COVID App.
Gov: “We’re not going to open school until they’re safe”. Announces start of school has been pushed back to September 14th. Last day of school would be June 25th (177 days of school for students).
Gov: Timeline to make decision on how schools will return to school will be made during the week of August 31st.
Gov: On gatherings, reminds that limit is 15 for social gatherings. Those in groups found to be higher than 15 may each be fined up to $500. Reminds Rhode Islanders to keep a contact tracing notebook.
Gov: Reminds Rhode Islanders of “golden rule” – don’t leave your house if you’re sick. Don’t go to work if you’re sick.
Gov: Will be joined by Dr. Fauci on her Facebook Page at 3 pm on Thursday. Invites Rhode Islaners to join her.
More From What’s Up Newp
- CDC: If you’re fully vaccinated, you do not need to wear a mask – indoors or outdoors, in most settings
- Opinion: Our seniors have earned the comfort to know we value them
- Obituary: Scott James Sawyer
- Rhode Island to eliminate residency requirement for COVID-19 Vaccination
- United Way and Women United partner with the community for annual children’s book drive throughout May