This obituary originally appeared on Memorial Funeral Home.
Walter passed away peacefully at home on Friday August 7, 2020. Born in Lancaster PA on Valentine’s Day 1932, he was the son of the late Francis and Mary (Hannum) Martin and brother to 6 siblings.
Walter was a proud graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point where he met his loving wife Rita, of 58 years. He graduated 6th in the class of 1954 and completed the Ranger Course at Fort Benning, GA.
He is survived by his four loving daughters, Janice, Barbara. Laura and Lisa, six cherished grandchildren, Geoffrey, James, Martin, Margaret, Connor and Carly, and four adored great grandchildren Gabriel, Winifred, Sullivan and Seamus. Walter is predeceased by his loving wife Rita and their only son Billy.
A private graveside ceremony will be held to honor a man who lived a life of integrity. He was a kind, generous, fair, respectful, and honest man, who was forever dedicated to his family.
In lieu of flowers memorial donations may be sent to the Jimmy Fund in his honor at www.jimmyfund.org
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits