This obituary originally appeared on Memorial Funeral Home.
Robert G. Driscoll, age 70, of Portsmouth, Rhode Island, passed away on August 19, 2020 after a brief illness. Robert was born in Newport, RI to George and Eloise (Phillips) Driscoll. Bob graduated from Brown University and the University of Maine School of Law.
He worked in private practice for many years before taking on the position of Town Administrator for Portsmouth, RI from 1990-2011. He also served as Town Solicitor and served on the Town Council. He remained active through the community, serving on the Board of Directors for the Portsmouth Free Public Library, the State CRMC, RI League of Cities and Towns, and the Police Officers Standards Board. For several years, Bob also enjoyed sharing his knowledge and experience as a professor of Business Law at Salve Regina University, and was proud to be a lifelong Portsmouth resident, serving his community and sharing its history.
Robert is survived by his companion Susan Barrett of Portsmouth, his brother Gerald Driscoll and his wife Heidi of Wakefield, and a sister Patricia Driscoll of East Providence.
A private graveside service will be held at St. Mary’s Episcopal Churchyard in Portsmouth.
Donations may be made in his memory to Portsmouth Free Public Library, 2658 E Main Rd, Portsmouth, RI 02871.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13