This obituary originally appeared on Memorial Funeral Home.
Nikolas G. Georgiou, 78, of Portsmouth, Rhode Island, passed away on August 26, 2020, at home surrounded by his family.
One of fourteen children, Nikolas was born in Olympia, Greece on March 12, 1942, to the late George Georgiou and the late Georgia (BouBouka) Georgiou. Nikolas was the husband of Paula (Diomandes) Georgiou for nearly 48 years.
He was the co-owner of N&E glass in Newport for 48 years. In his spare time, he enjoyed golf, hunting, fishing and playing softball.
Besides his wife, Paula, he is survived by his daughter, Jenn Georgiou and her husband Jim Cerce, and his son, Dan Georgiou, all of Portsmouth, his grandchildren, Cara Matthews, Damon Georgiou, Jessica Cerce and Andrew Cerce, his great granddaughters, Gianna Matthews and Kinsley Wilson, his siblings, James Georgiou, Ernest Georgiou and his wife Pam, Aleka Zervas, and Antonia Ramoundos and her husband Dimitri, as well as numerous nieces and nephews.
Funeral services will be private at this time.
The family would like to extend their heartfelt thanks to the staff of Visiting Nurse Home & Hospice, Fr. Aaron Walker of St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church in Newport, his nurse, Celia, and his CNA’s, Kim, Amy & Erin.
Memorial donations in his memory may be to Visiting Nurse Home & Hospice, 1184 East Main Road, Portsmouth, RI 02871, or to St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church, 390 Thames Street, Newport, RI 02840.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year