Governor Gina Raimondo and the Rhode Island Department of Health hosted a press briefing to provide an update on COVID-19 in Rhode Island at 1 pm on Wednesday, July 1st.
RIDOH reports today 27 new positive cases of COVID-19 (total now 16,853), 6 new associated fatalities (total now 956), 69 people are currently hospitalized (11 in ICU, 11 on a ventilator).
Updates From Press Briefing
Gov: Next press briefing will take place next Wednesday and Friday at 1 pm.
Gov: On Fourth of July, says she’s worried about crowds gathering. Encourages Rhode Islanders to go out of their way this weekend to follow the rules.
Gov: says compliance at bars needs to be better, inspectors found 18% not following rules on congregating around bars. Gov. warns if that does not improve, she will close bars but says she does not want to do that. Asks all bars, restaurants to follow rules and guidelines.
Gov: State is providing every municipality with 1,000 masks. They are to be handed out at gatherings this weekend. DEM will also be handing out masks at State Parks.
Gov: On nursing homes, says there will be more inspections for nursing homes for quality, cleanliness, and infection control. She says the state will provide additional assistance to these homes, but wants to see improvements. Gov. says the state is working to make it easier for Rhode Islanders to find home-based care options for the elderly and disabled, and make sure that nursing homes are better and safer.
Gov: committing an additional $5M from RI’s CARES Act funds to Childcare Relief Fund for capital improvement projects, to all licensed childcare providers. Will support adding things like plexiglass, sinks, air quality mechanisms.
Director of Health: On six new associated deaths, 1 in 40s, 4 in 60s, 1 in 70s, 1 in 80s, and 1 in 90s.
DOH: Data will next be updated Thursday, Friday, and Tuesday. No data updates on Saturday, Sunday, Monday.
This story is being updated throughout the press briefing and day, check back for updates.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits