This obituary originally appeared on Memorial Funeral Home.
Manuel R. White Jr. passed away peacefully surrounded by his family on July 9, 2020. Manuel was born in Portsmouth, RI to the late Manuel White and Hilda (Silvia) White. Manuel was the husband of Alexandria White of Portsmouth, RI for 63 years.
Manuel was an active member for 63 years of the International Union of Carpenters, Local 94 in Warwick. He helped build the Newport Bridge and the new Jamestown Bridge. He was a parishioner of St. Barnabas Church. He enjoyed spending time with his family having cookouts and clam boils. He often traveled to Florida to visit with his daughter Lisa and her children.
Manuel served in the United States Navy and served in the Korean War.
In addition to his wife he is survived his sons David White of Bristol and Steven White of Portsmouth and his daughter Lisa Jacobs of Florida and his Grandchildren Michael, Sydney, Kent and Ryan. He also leaves his great grandchildren Gabriel and Ryan, and siblings Robert White of Portsmouth, John White of Florida and Paula Ferreira of Bristol.
In addition to his parents he was predeceased by his sister Elizabeth Riley and brother Charles White.
Services will private.
Online memorial donations can be made to Visiting Nurse Services https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/visitingnursehh.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits