Providence, RI – Governor Gina Raimondo and the Department of Health will host a press briefing at 1 pm today to provide an update on COVID-19 in Rhode Island.
What’s Up Newp will carry it live and provide updates below.
The Latest Rhode Island Data
RIDOH reports today an additional 25 new positive cases (total now 16,459), 5 new associated fatalities (total now 903), 106 are currently hospitalized (18 in ICU, 15 on a ventilator).
Updates From Press Briefing
Gov: Says RI is number 1 in the US for testing. Says over the weekend Rhode Island passed 200,000 tests, or about 20% of the population.
Gov: Her hope to start Phase III on June 30th. Gov. says she will roll out further Phase III guidelines on Wednesday and Friday of this week.
Gov: Says all state beaches hit capacity by mid-day Saturday. Beach policy changes to be announced on Sunday.
Gov: Urges all businesses to complete their COVID-19 control plan and have it handy.
Gov: $41k already raised from Rhode Islanders for the weR! fund that she launched on Friday. rifoundation.org with more info.
Gov: Repeats initiative for landlords to make available rental units for housing insecure with incentive of @k bonus for first unit and $500 more for each additional unit.
Director of Health: Overall good numbers, says the numbers haven’t been this low since early April.
Director of Health: Nine new deaths since Friday. Of these, 9, 2 were in 50’s, 1 in 70s, 2 in 80s, 3 in 90s, 1 older than 100 years old.
This story is developing and will be updated throughout the day.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- This day in Newport History: September 19, 1902 – Jimmy Van Alen born in Newport
- Concert Recap and Photos: Felix Cavaliere’s Rascals at the Greenwich Odeum (September 18, 2021)
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert