Newport, RI – With more than $230,000 already raised, Salve Regina University organizers are reaching out to runners, walkers and joggers in the community to help push its Mercy Emergency Relief Fund beyond the quarter-million dollar mark by signing up and participating in the Salve Cares Virtual 5k anytime between now and July 12.
Registration for the Virtual 5k is $25 and open to anyone in the community at salve.edu/Virtual5K. Once registered, participants may walk, run, jog the 3.1-miles on a route of their choice, following local roads or trails near their homes or on their living room treadmills.
Participants will receive downloadable race bibs and completion certificates, and they are encouraged to share pictures or videos of their experience on social media by using the #MovingforMercy tag.
The Mercy Emergency Relief Fund supports the Salve Regina community and the University in times of need due to extraordinary circumstances. The allocation of donations to this fund is designated by the president, as needed. At this time, President Kelli J. Armstrong will utilize the Mercy Emergency Relief Fund to support the many efforts under way on behalf of students and the University that have arisen from the Covid-19 global pandemic.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- City to Newport to kick off American Rescue Plan fund engagement process
- Newport Polo to host USA versus Mexico on Saturday
- What’sUp Interview: Sean Oshima of Oshima Brothers coming to Norman Bird Sanctuary September 24th
- ReVision: Newport Art Museum announces new exhibition by Annu Palakunnathu Matthew
- Aquidneck Land Trust announces the start of its annual Art & Writing Contest
- Gerry Goldstein: Music, with nature calling the tune
- Apple Picking Season has arrived! “Six Picks” Orchards in Newport County and beyond
- Jamestown Arts Center seeks artist submissions for ‘RAW: Reassessment and Wonder’
- National Data shows an increase in child poverty and uninsured children
- 24th International Seapower Symposium taking place at Naval War College this week