This obituary originally appeared on Memorial Funeral Home.
Patricia Ann White, age 71, of Middletown, RI, formerly of Irvington, NJ, passed away on June 11, 2020 at Newport Hospital. Patricia was born in New York to the late John and Ruth Byrne. She lived for many years in New Jersey, working as a secretary for AT&T. In retirement, she moved to Newport and began her most rewarding work, providing support and guidance to young women in group homes. Her constant companion, Chalupa, a chihuahua, has been by her side and always will be. She was a proud supporter of pet rescue, “Adopt, don’t buy” would be her slogan.
Patricia is survived by her son Jason White of Middletown and her daughter Rebecca White of Florida, and her grandchildren Ulysses, Miles, Iris, Jayonna, and Xavier, and a great granddaughter Hazel, and her first husband LeRoy White. She was preceded in death by her husband Neil Turkenkopf and her brother Jack Byrne.
Services for Patricia will be private.
Memorial donations may be made to any local pet rescue.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits