The Colony House bell, rung every Friday since mid-April as a signal that Newport is united in response to the pandemic, will ring for the last times for this period on Friday, June 26, 2020 and Saturday, July 4, 2020.
#Newporttogether was established to support the City in quarantine; as we begin to return to a more open life, it is time to end the initiative. The NHS would like to offer our members an unusual opportunity: a chance to ring the bell! If you are a current member go to NewportHistory.org and enter the drawing to be one of the two members picked to ring the bell. The names will be picked live on the NHS Facebook on Wednesday June 24th and Wednesday, July 1st.
If you are not a member and would like to sign up, subscribe to history today with a membership in the Newport Historical Society at NewportHistory.org/membership, then enter the drawing. Participants must be adults, able to climb three sets of staircases with no help, agrees to wear a mask and abide by social distancing guidelines, and agree to be filmed while ringing the bell.
If you have any questions about this, please email email@example.com or call 401-846-0813 x110.
About the Newport Historical Society
Since 1854, the Newport Historical Society has collected and preserved the artifacts, photographs, documents, publications, and genealogical records that relate to the history of Newport County, to make these materials readily available for both research and enjoyment, and to act as a resource center for the education of the public about the history of Newport County, so that knowledge of the past may contribute to a fuller understanding of the present. For more information please visit www.NewportHistory.org.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals