“I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies, education, culture of their minds, and dignity, equality, and freedom for their spirits.” These words by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. were never more appropriate for those individuals on the front lines like Heather Strout and her team at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center in Newport.
Each day of the battle against the coronavirus, Heather and her team are working hard to assure that those who have lost jobs, those who are homeless, have nourishment and encouragement. Heather spoke with WUN’s Frank Prosnitz today, sharing the center’s experiences over these last several weeks.Listen to “Heather Strout, executive director, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center” on Spreaker.
More from What’s Up Newp
- Opinion – Rep. Carson: High stakes of appropriate coastal management
- Edward King House to serve as a new drop-off site for Meals on Wheels
- Newport resident named new VP & Branch Sales Manager at BankNewport’s North Kingstown branch
- Ticket Giveaway: S.G. Goodman Saturday, Oct. 30th at the Newport Casino
- Nor’easter Update: National Grid responding to power outages
- Update: All restrictions lifted on Newport Pell and Jamestown Verrazzano Bridges
- Got storm photos? Send us your pics by 9PM Wednesday
- Obituary: Molly Falconer de Ramel
- Grey Sail Brewing celebrating 10 years
- LIVE BLOG | Rhode Island cancellations, closures, and delays