Newport City Council hosted a regular council meeting this evening. Here’s what was on the agenda and how the votes landed.
|1.||Proposed Budget FY 2021 (A copy is available on the city’s website) (Receive) http://cityofnewport.com/departments/finance/budgets-cafrs-cips|
The City Council voted 7-0 to receive.
|2.||PUBLIC HEARING: Proposed Budget FY 2021 (A copy is available on the city’s website) http://cityofnewport.com/departments/finance/budgets-cafrs-cips|
After discussion, City Council voted 7-0 to receive.
|a.||Memorandum from the City Manager (Receive)|
City Council passed a motion to reinstate funds to Aquidneck Island Planning Commission. City Council voted 7-0 to receive memorandum.
|b.||Ordinance Appropriating Revenues (First Reading)|
Councilor McLaughlin made a motion to continue this ordinance and the next ordinance until the next council meeting. After discussion, Council voted 6-1 (Leonard nay) to continue.
|c.||Ordinance Amending Title 3, Personnel (First Reading)|
Continued to next meeting.
|3.||Memorandum from the City Manager, re: Direction with regard to School Bond Workshop scheduling Laura C. Swistak City Clerk|
City Council voted 7-0 to receive.
|4.||Memorandum from the City Manager, re: Direction with Regard to 4th of July Fireworks|
With social distancing guidelines in front of mind and budget concerns in back of mind, City Council agreed that fireworks on the 4th of July would be almost impossible to pull off. City Manager Joe Nicholson said if fireworks are canceled outright, there is no penalty and contract is void. There was a little money in this year’s budget for the fireworks, but the display usually relies heavy on donations to put on the display. There were some discussion on moving the fireworks to Labor Day or another time in August or later this year. No official decision made on whether to postpone or just cancel. City Manager to look into it. City Council voted 7-0 to receive the memorandum.
You can watch the meeting here;
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- City to Newport to kick off American Rescue Plan fund engagement process
- Newport Polo to host USA versus Mexico on Saturday
- What’sUp Interview: Sean Oshima of Oshima Brothers coming to Norman Bird Sanctuary September 24th
- ReVision: Newport Art Museum announces new exhibition by Annu Palakunnathu Matthew
- Aquidneck Land Trust announces the start of its annual Art & Writing Contest
- Gerry Goldstein: Music, with nature calling the tune
- Apple Picking Season has arrived! “Six Picks” Orchards in Newport County and beyond
- Jamestown Arts Center seeks artist submissions for ‘RAW: Reassessment and Wonder’
- National Data shows an increase in child poverty and uninsured children
- 24th International Seapower Symposium taking place at Naval War College this week