Operation Stand Down Rhode Island today announced that it is canceling this year’s Boots On The Ground For Heores Memorial and Gold Star Gala due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Both events were scheduled to take place at Fort Adams State Park this Memorial Day Weekend (May 22 – 25).
“Operation Stand Down has been closely monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic as well as the guidance from state officials up to and including the governors announcement yesterday with regards to festivals and other large events scheduled this summer”, Operation Stand Down Rhode Island wrote on their Facebook Page. “Based on that guidance, it is with great sadness that we announce that our Boots on the Ground for Heroes Memorial is canceled slated for Memorial Day Weekend. We are hopeful for brighter days ahead, and look forward to the return of this memorial in 2021”.
This would have been the second year in a row that Fort Adams State Park hosted the event.
This event joins a long list of other events scheduled for this summer that have been canceled or postponed. Here’s the status of major Newport County events in 2020
Operation Stand Down Rhode Island is a non-profit organization designed to help struggling and homeless veterans by offering services and housing necessary to their well being.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Motels Rock the Odeum (September 16, 2021)
- 4th Annual Cardines Classic featuring Army versus Navy rescheduled to October 1
- Davis Cup will take place at the International Tennis Hall of Fame this weekend
- What’s Up This Weekend in Newport County: Things to do, live music, and more (Sept. 17 – 19)