The following press release was received from Marcin Rembisz, Communications Coordinator/Secretary for Newport Public Schools, this evening.
PRESS RELEASE For Tuesday, March 17 and Wednesday, March 18th
Dear Newport Public School Families,
On Thursday and Friday of this week, Chromebooks will be issued to all grade 2-8 students that do not have access to a device to be able to continue his/her learning online during the school closure.
Please see the times and locations for the Chromebook pickups and what you will need to bring with you to pick up the Chromebook.
What you will need to know and bring:
As a parent or guardian, you will need to know your child’s homeroom teacher, have a picture ID just in case a volunteer does not recognize you, and sign a paper that you have received the Chromebook. Additional information will be provided about insurance if you wish to purchase it, it is not required, and you will get information on how to get onto WIFI. We will also have a Help Desk set up for you and your child during this time starting next week for you to email or call in for any assistance you may need.
We will let you know when it is available.
The pickup times for Chromebooks will be on Thursday, March 19th and Friday, March 20th:
Pell School students and families:
Thursday, March 19th 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Friday, March 20th 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Grade 4 should go to the Main Entrance Door
Grade 2-3 should go to the After School Entrance Door
Both doors are located on Dexter Street in front of the building. We will be practicing social distancing, and ask that if you see more than five people in line that you please wait in your car.
For TMS students and families:
Thursday, March 19th 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.- 6:00 p.m.
Friday, March 20th 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Families of 5th-grade students may pick up their Chromebooks from the rear entrance door on Central Street right on the sidewalk.
- Families of 6th-grade students may pick up their Chromebooks in the courtyard by the entrance leading out to the parking lot at the back of the TMS building on Central Street.
- Families of 7th-grade students can pick up their Chromebooks at the Main entrance at the front of the building on Broadway Avenue.
- Families of 8th-grade students can pick up their Chromebooks from the side entrance down the alleyway between Thompson Middle School and City Hall. This is off of Broadway on the right side of the building.
- Families of students that usually get their Chromebooks from rooms 107, 111, 201, 202C, 404, and 406 at the beginning of each day may pick up their Chromebooks in the courtyard by the entrance leading out to the parking lot at the back of the TMS building on Central Street.
We will continue to practice social distancing and remind everyone to practice this while picking up your Chromebooks.
Please know Chromebooks will need to be returned to school once schools reopen. These are on loan to all children at this time.
If you have any questions please contact your school principal.
Please continue to listen to DOH and CDC recommendations during this time and remember we are here to support all children and families during this time.
Our meals program is open Monday through Friday 12:00-1:00 at Pell and 12:00-1:30 at the Dr. Martin Luther King Community Center.
More From What’s Up Newp
- What Sold: 29 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (May 3 - 10)
- Obituary: Timothy Howard Jackson
- HGTV Dream Home in Portsmouth hits the market, can now be yours for $2.39 million
- List: States with travel restrictions upon entry to Rhode Island
- New York Yacht Club submits challenge and evolutionary draft protocol for 37th America's Cup