The New York Yacht Club and the Cruising Club of America announced today that they have joined forces in co-sponsoring an International Offshore Safety at Sea seminar sanctioned by US Sailing. The seminar will offer hands-on training for full certification in offshore ocean races, but is equally valuable for cruising and deliveries, power or sail.
The seminar consists of two parts: an online Offshore Safety at Sea video course followed by a one-day hands-on course. The hands-on portion will take place at Roger Williams University in Bristol, RI. A separate, optional component on boats will take place at New York Yacht Club Harbour Court in Newport, RI.
Students will learn by doing hands-on exercises in the water that include PFD inflation and life raft inflation and entry. Other training includes man overboard rescue, firefighting, repair of a leaking hull, and flares. A course book and one-year membership in US Sailing or renewal are included as part of the fee.
Dates for the one-day hands-on portion of the course at Roger Williams University are as follows:
Saturday, March 14, 2020
Sunday, March 15, 2020
Saturday, May 9, 2020
Monday, June 15, 2020 (Bermuda Race participants only)
Saturday, October 17, 2020
Saturday, January 16, 2021
Saturday, March 27, 2021
Sunday, March 28, 2021
Saturday, October 16, 2021
On boats at New York Yacht Club Harbour Court:
Sunday, May 16, 2020
Additional course details and registration can be found here.
Photo courtesy of the Cruising Club of America
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Get Lost! “Six Picks” Corn Mazes in Newport County and Beyond
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Concert Recap and Photos: Alice Cooper and Ace Frehley at Leader Bank Pavilion (September 21, 2021)
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates