City Councilors will be hosting a special workshop on Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2020 at 6 p.m. in order to discuss the process of filling a vacancy on the School Committee resulting from the resignation of Kathleen M. Silva.
According to the City Charter, City Councilors are charged with filling “any vacancy arising from death, resignation or any reason in the membership of the School Committee within thirty (30) days after learning of the vacancy or as soon thereafter as may be possible by a majority vote of all members of the Council; provided, however, the Council shall provide for the public solicitation of applicants.”
The Council is expected to discuss the process for appointment, and may conduct a vote based on the discussion of the issue at the meeting, which will take place at 6 p.m. in the Second Floor Council Chamber at City Hall. All Newport residents interested in applying for the vacancy are encouraged to submit a letter of interest along with any relevant credentials to the Mayor’s Office, Newport City Hall, 43 Broadway, Newport, R.I. 02840.
Silvia resigned her seat effective Jan. 27th, 2020. Whomever is appointed to fill the vacancy will serve only until a person is elected and qualified at the next municipal election, scheduled to take place on Tuesday, Nov. 3rd.
The Latest From WUN
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Minks rock Askew (October 21, 2021)
- New behavioral health pharmacy in EBCAP to serve those with mental health and addiction issues
- Newport Art Museum to present “Newport: The City as a Work of Art” lecture series with John R. Tschirch
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Sarah Potenza, Elvis Costello and more
- Obituary: Julian C. Clinton