Ronald James “Rondo” Wicks, 66, of Portsmouth, Rhode Island passed away peacefully November 27, 2019, at home surrounded by his loving family after a brave battle with cancer.
Born in Newport, Rhode Island on March 4, 1953, he was the son of the late William and Ann(Pelchuck) Wicks.
Ron spent his life as the business/sales manager of the family business, Wicks Nurseries. More recently he sold his vegetables at a roadside stand during harvest season.
Rondo was the “bake master” of his family’s annual 4th of July clambakes, and he loved live Concerts, Gunstock Mountain and the surrounding area, camping, and supporting his son’s band, Braman’s Lane.
He is survived by his children: Ryan Wicks, Robyn Kosinski (Michael) , Rachel Wicks (Stephen Bucolo), RJ Wicks (Candice), and Randy Wicks, along with the mother of his children, Maureen Davidson. He also leaves behind his three grandchildren, Blake Kosinski, Cora Kosinski, and Desmond Kosinski.
In addition, Ron is survived by his brothers, William Wicks, Wesley Wicks, Gary Wicks, and Richard Wicks, and sister Beverley Carlisle (David), along with many nieces and nephews.
He will also be missed by his beloved dog, Brody, and longtime friends Richie Welch and the family of the late Louie Perry.
Calling hours will be held Friday, December 6, 2019, from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM at Memorial Funeral Home, 375 Broadway, Newport. His funeral service will be held immediately after calling hours at 1:00 pm. In lieu of flowers, please make donations in his name to Aquidneck Land Trust, Middletown, RI.
Additional information at www.memorialfuneralhome.com
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Get Lost! “Six Picks” Corn Mazes in Newport County and Beyond
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Concert Recap and Photos: Alice Cooper and Ace Frehley at Leader Bank Pavilion (September 21, 2021)
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates