Those in the Point Section of Newport may notice some additional work happening and/or an additional transformer in the area over the next few days.
The City of Newport posted the following on Facebook on Friday afternoon;
“Due to an electrical issue caused by recent inclement weather, the Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority has positioned a temporary transformer unit along Washington Street in order to keep the Eastern (Newport) side of the bridge safely lit.
We’re told that crews are working diligently on a repair and hope to have a new transformer brought online by Tuesday.
In the meantime, and on behalf of the RITBA, we thank you for your patience while the work is complete”.
RITBA had the following to share;
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport