Sign up for What’sUpNewp’s free daily newsletter, we’ll keep you in the know!
It’s wicked good, we promise!
What is there to do here in Newport when a rainy days occurs? If you’re interested in more than just curling up with a good book or watching a movie on the couch, here’s some ideas of what to do in Newport when it rains.
1 – Tour The Mansions – A visit to The Preservation Society of Newport County‘s Properties (The Breakers, The Elms, Chateau-sur-Mer, Chepstow, Hunter House, Isaac Bell House, Kingscote, Marble House and Rosecliff) or Newport Restoration’s Doris Duke’s Rough Point is a perfect thing to do on a rainy day!
2) See A Movie – It may not be the most original idea, but who ever wants to go to a movie on a nice, sunny, beach-worthy day, so a rainy day is a great time to see a flick. Head to the historic Jane Pickens Theater & Event Center for a movie, a Newport Stormy (yes they have a bar) and some delicious popcorn.
3) Visit the International Tennis Hall of Fame Museum on Bellevue Avenue.
4) Stop by the Museum of Newport History at Brick Market Museum and Shop and get acquainted with Newport’s history.
5) Browse through Redwood Library on Bellevue Avenue, it’s the oldest continuously operating library in the United States.
6) Visit the Touro Synagogue, the oldest house of Jewish worship in North America
7) Take a tour of The City By The Sea with a trolley tour, yes you will stay dry!
8) Learn how to blow glass at Thames Glass on Lower Thames Street.
9) Relive your childhood days at Ryan Family Amusement Center, located at the corner of Pelham and Thames Street.
10) SHOP – there are so many great local and family owned boutique shops in the area, throw on a rain coat, grab an umbrella and hit the street and do some shopping for yourself or your loved ones.
11) Attack our Top 50 Thing to Eat in Newport, RI before you die list
12) Drink Local – Aquidneck Island is the home to several great breweries – Ragged Island Brewing (Portsmouth), Coddington Brewing Company (Middletown), Newport Craft Brewing & Distilling (Newport), and Taproot Brewing Company (Middletown). And also home to a couple of great vineyards – Newport Vineyards (Newport) and Greenvale Vineyards (Portsmouth).
13) Art – Newport is home to many great art galleries and The Newport Art Museum, visit and let your mind wander.
14) Cars – Audrain Automobile Museum has an extensive and impressive collection of historic and luxury cars, head to Bellevue Avenue and see these cars! Newport Car Museum celebrates the art of the car in Portsmouth.
15) Head to the spa – have you heard about The Bodhi Spa? Spend the day (yes, you can literally stay there all day) at New England’s premier hydrotherapy spa.
What would you add to this list? We love feedback, email your thoughts and ideas to Ryan@whatsupnewp.com.
This story was originally published on November 22, 2015, it has been updated.